Datasets - fields contained and reading data from RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

with Project Server 2007 integration

I wonder if anyone can tell me the easiest way to see for datasets (1) the fields included and (2) the data contained at any time.

I've seen the documentation describing the datasets and the object browser methods but is there anywhere showing which fields are included in each dataset.

I'm particularly interested in the delegationdataset. I am assuming this is where selfassign (team tasks) or reassign details are stored before being saved/published into the main SQL databases.

I'm not sure whether visual studio is a must for this or whether stored procedures or SQL statements can be used in some way to view the data.

Thanks

Brian

Brian Hyam
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

The DelegationDataSet is where in-memory data is stored by a call to the ReadAssignmentsForDelegation method, or by an application (custom or PWA) that creates data to be used by a call to the DelegateAssignments method.

You can use Visual Studio (2008 or 2010) to create a simple console or WinForms app that uses either PSI method. The main idea of the PSI is to use it, rather than direct DB access, for lots of reasons that are discussed in the SDK.

The easiest way to start is probably to download the SDK, which has sample solutions, and modify a sample such as the one described in How to: Log on to Project Server Programmatically to use the ReadAssignmentsForDelegation method. Before you run your sample, use PWA to delegate a couple of tasks that are assigned to you in a project, so the method has something to read. Then use the DelegationFilterType.Project filter in the method parameter. After the method call, use the DelegationDataSet.WriteXml method to write out a file that you can examine, as described in the DataSets section of Project Server 2007: Getting Started with a New Platform for Developers.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Corbin Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Hyam Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

The DelegationDataSet is where in-memory data is stored by a call to the ReadAssignmentsForDelegation method, or by an application (custom or PWA) that creates data to be used by a call to the DelegateAssignments method.

You can use Visual Studio (2008 or 2010) to create a simple console or WinForms app that uses either PSI method. The main idea of the PSI is to use it, rather than direct DB access, for lots of reasons that are discussed in the SDK.

The easiest way to start is probably to download the SDK, which has sample solutions, and modify a sample such as the one described in How to: Log on to Project Server Programmatically to use the ReadAssignmentsForDelegation method. Before you run your sample, use PWA to delegate a couple of tasks that are assigned to you in a project, so the method has something to read. Then use the DelegationFilterType.Project filter in the method parameter. After the method call, use the DelegationDataSet.WriteXml method to write out a file that you can examine, as described in the DataSets section of Project Server 2007: Getting Started with a New Platform for Developers.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Corbin Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Hyam Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Thanks Jim

Sounds like good advice - I'll do as you suggest

Brian

Brian Hyam
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:54 AM