Can one client belong to two different WHS networks? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  I have set up a WHS network at a remote site, and it is working well.  I sometimes take my laptop to the site to do WHS maintenance, since all their clients are usually in use by others.  Now I want to set up my own WHS network at home, so my question is, is it possible for my laptop to be used on both networks?  I want to be able to back it up at home, but just be a temporary node on the other network.  My guess is that the connector software will only work on one of the networks, and if I want this to happen, I will have to routinely uninstall and install the connector software, depending on which network I want to join.  Thanks! 
    actor39
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:43 PM

All replies

• See my thread here regarding two WHS2011 Servers on the same network - not directly applicable but I suspect it will work the same way if you uninstall the Connector and reinstall from the server you want to connect to:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/61d7b99f-a068-4b79-ab90-c46925cecc6e

You could do what I have done and back up your laptop at home, but use a VM with the connector set to connect to the remote site server for management purposes. That way you would not need to keep installing/uninstalling the connector.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:50 PM
  • You can only have a client joined to one server at a time, so you will need to connect the laptop to whatever network you want it to back up on, then use Remote Desktop to reach the server desktop and run the dashboard from there. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to switch a client from one server to another with Windows Home Server 2011 (there was in V1, but the tool that let you do so is gone).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:36 PM