WHS out of diskspace on shared drive RRS feed

• Question

• I recently set up a WHS box on my network for sharing media files and a small access DB for an accounting software I use. I have 3 machines that need to be able to access the accounting software so I created a shared folder on the WHS and xfered the DB there and pointed the software to it. Everything worked fine until i tried to install the updates for the '09 tax year to the DB. The software will update the DB on my machine but will not update to the server on the shared drive. I get an error message that the server is out of disk space (There is about 260GB free) and needs about 13000kb to continue. Now there are 3 folders that contain data to be updated. When they are split off as separate mapped network drive two of the drives update correctly , but the third fails needing another 12kb free to update. I have checked that the user logged on to the computer I am updating from as full permissions to the folder, and that there are no quotas turned on. The database can be transfered to the WHS manually copy and paste style with no issues. What can I do to get these updates to go directly to the server?

Regards,
    Ryan
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,
    is the accounting software capable and designed for network use? If not, it may be the reason, that the upgrade routine checks with methods, which are made for local disks.
    Is the software made by you? If not, what does the maker of the software say?
    Other than that - is duplication turned on for that shared folder? Try to turn it off temporary.
    Are the permissions correctly used? If the updater is using an account (i.e. local system or Trusted Installer), which has no write permissions to the Shared folder, this would also explain the behavior.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Olaf,
    Thank you for your prompt response. I have checked with the accounting software manufacturer and the software is able to work on the network. I have a friend who is using a similar set up but w/ ws2k3 and he has no problems. The software mfg. claims that the issue is with the OS. Obviously the management of permissions and so forth is a little different in 2k3 to WHS but I'm pretty sure its good. As far as the duplication, where is that located in the management console? Is that accessed through an mmc? I will verify the trusted installer permissions and report back.

Regards,
    RYan
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:00 AM
  • srnphotography said:

Olaf,
    Thank you for your prompt response. I have checked with the accounting software manufacturer and the software is able to work on the network. I have a friend who is using a similar set up but w/ ws2k3 and he has no problems. The software mfg. claims that the issue is with the OS. Obviously the management of permissions and so forth is a little different in 2k3 to WHS but I'm pretty sure its good. As far as the duplication, where is that located in the management console? Is that accessed through an mmc? I will verify the trusted installer permissions and report back.

Regards,
    RYan

Hello Ryan,

Please see the Drive Extender technical brief for further information regarding how the functionality is different. Generally, an application should be approved and/or tested by the vendor to run on Windows Home Server.

Also, the technical brief for User Accounts and Shared Folders might be helpful.

To turn off duplication, you will need to log in via the Windows Home Server console and click on the shared folders icon.

Select the correct folder where the database is stored
    Right click>properties> verify that the "Enable Folder Duplication" box is NOT checked.
    Until you turn this back on, all duplication for this share is OFF.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:01 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I cannot seem to allow local processes access to the shared folder, only processes running on the server however, the shared drive is being accessed as a specific user. I have provided credentials for the homeserver in the mapped network drive. I have also added a user on the homeserver that corresponds with the user on the machine I am attempting to update from and I still get the same message. Folder Duplication is turned off and the installer is in fact running as the local user as far as I can tell. At least the processes related to the installer package are running as the user. I dont believe this is a permissions issue at this time. as far as I can tell this is either the software not detecting the amount of available storage across the network or the server not reporting that amount correctly to the software neither of which I can fix. Looks like I need a workaround.
    Cheers,

Ryan
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 10:45 PM