none
Replacing existing WHS PC - will I lose data? RRS feed

• Question

• I wish to upgarde my existing WHS PC with a better specification (existing is a Dell D5S, replacement is a Dell D530). The current set up I have is a 200GB System Drive, a 320GB drive on the secondary IDE channel and two external USB2 500GB drives. I do not have duplication turned for all my shares, just some of them.

When I do the new WHS installation on the replacement machine (Primary will be a 500GB IDE) will I then be able to move the data off of the current 200GB System drive to the new 500GB system drive. (I think I would have to copy the files from the hidden DEStatus folder???) Once I have done this would I then simply be able to plug in the reminder external drives and have access to my data again? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Also, as an aside, If I was to buy a SATA pci card to put in the D530 and purchase a 500GB SATA drive instead of an IDE drive would I see much of a performance increase?

Many Thanks

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

• You should make sure that you have enough storage in your new server to hold all the data in your shares, turn off duplication, then copy all the files over from share to share. Then on the old server turn off duplication (you have a second copy on the new server), and start removing disks from the storage pool. As you remove each disk, connect it to the new server and add it to the pool.

You should not plan to copy from one physical drive to another physical drive, and Windows Home Server will always format a drive before adding it to the storage pool, so you won't be able to move drives from one server to the other and preserve files on them.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 3:02 AM