System32 RRS feed

• Question

•  I am working on a new computer, which is less than a month old.  I installed the trial version of OneCare immediately and have since purchased it.  In the meantime, I have noticed a folder called system32.  There are others with the same creation date 11-2-06.  OneCare does not recognize any of these.  I have searched for the virus, but there seems to be many versions.  How do I determine which one I have and how to remove it?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:58 AM

Answers

• Better safe than sorry. In this case, though, the 11/2/06 date is correct for those files as it corresponds to when Vista was released to manufacturing. So, these are original Vista files with the original creation date for those files. I just checked and it is the same date on my Vista PC for many files.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:30 PM

All replies

• There is a legitimate folder in WindowsXP and Vista called \windows\system32 and it is hidden by default. Where are you seeing this folder and why do you think it is a virus?

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:57 PM
  • I just bought the computer, I had a very old computer and wound up with a win32 virus.  I also have an external drive.  I took the drive in to have it scanned and cleaned.  There was one infected file, which was removed.  This drive has been plugged into the new computer.  I noticed a bunch of the files in system32 were created on 11/02/06, which corresponds with the system32 virus info I saw.  It seems like there should be no files that old on the new computer.  I have scanned both the computer and the external drive with onecare and everything checks out fine.  Am I just being paranoid?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Better safe than sorry. In this case, though, the 11/2/06 date is correct for those files as it corresponds to when Vista was released to manufacturing. So, these are original Vista files with the original creation date for those files. I just checked and it is the same date on my Vista PC for many files.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Sounds good.  Thanks for your help!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:32 AM
  • I think I have the same problem.The system32 window pops up every time I log on. I also am using the trial Live OneCare security. I've had problems, slowed log on, computer shutting down, No monitor and feared another crash. Found that there is a problem with switching from the OneCare trial to the paid plan. Went to the onecare site and found a fix. It was a very quick and painless download. Now it appears security is working properly. Sorry, but I did not write down the info.

Tonite I think I've found a solution to the system32 window problem at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086. I'm too tired and will try it tomorrow. The title is "System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP, Windows 2000.....sounds like this is the place! Good luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Friday, November 9, 2007 5:32 AM