ACCESSTUNES - True Remote Sharing for Itunes on WHS - Let's make this happen... RRS feed

• General discussion

•  I have just spoken with the developers of Accesstunes.

The website is www.zeleksoftware.com. This software, in its present state, runs on a computer and "serves" the entire itunes library over the internet (protected files, too, if the "client" computer is authorized - i.e., one of your 5 computers that can share the DRM tracks from itunes). You can log in via a website (with user name and password) and it runs in your web browser, and, even better, you can actually run itunes on the remote machine and (with an add-in on that machine) you can have your media streamed from the "serving" computer to the "client computer" with full itunes interface.

I had a long discussion with them and they said that my request for an accesstunes WHS add-in was the first they had received. However, as we spoke, they indicated that if there was enough support from the community that they would be interested in developing an accesstunes add-in for WHS. I asked them if I could post this to the community and they agreed.

This would be unlike any other add-in presently out there. To my knowledge, there is no solution for streaming itunes music files (mp3s, yes, but not itunes, and certainly not using the itunes program to interface on the client computer). You could stream your own music to an itunes program running on a remote computer or you could log in via the internet on your browser and listen. It will play EVERY unprotected file and it will play PROTECTED files if your computer is authorized. I even suggested that the add-in would list Accesstunes in your list of websites on your Server homepage so that you could go to that, click, log in and listen.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SEEING THIS ADD-IN DEVELOPED, PLEASE EMAIL support@zeleksoftware.com AND LET THEM KNOW YOU WANT AN ACCESSTUNES WHS ADD-IN.

Please email them if you want this add-in. Please tell your friends.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:28 PM

All replies

• I think it would be a great idea to have an add-in developed for this, but Firefly (which HP used in their MediaSmart Server) is perfectly capable of streaming iTunes media to you from afar. You just need to know how to configure your router; if you forward some ports you'll be good to go, with the same "authorized at the iTunes Store" caveat.

:)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:25 PM
  • How?  The only thing I have seen was using the firefly additional plugin that allowed you to do it via a web browser only, but it didn't play anything but mp3s (no other format).  Also, no Itunes program compatibility on the remote machine either.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:09 AM
  • As I said, all you need to do is configure your router to forward a couple of ports, which are documented. Then you can connect to your Firefly server from afar, without the web plugin.

But I think an add-in which would wrap all this up for you is a much better solution. It's just that it's already possible if you want to get "under the hood" a bit. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:18 AM
  • I agree that an add-in would be the perfect solution.  Do you have a link to article/tutorial/discussion re: the firefly setup that you're referring to?  Thanks.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:15 PM