Moving WHS-2011 to new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• How do I move my existing WHS-2011 installati​on to new hardware?   I have the OEM software that I used for the current installation and I know I'm going to run into problems if I use the same product key to install on the new hardware as this key is *locked* to the current hardware.  I called the Microsoft number at  800 936-5700 but the only options they gave me was a bunch of links to MS support sites, social sites and forums.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:12 PM

All replies

• If Microsoft can't or won't help, I would suggest buying another copy (around $53 in the US).
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:52 PM
  • When you try to activate, you should have your product key refused for online activation. At that point you should be given the option to use telephone activation, where you will be able to explain that you're replacing your hardware. While the product key is tied to your current hardware, Microsoft have been very understanding about re-activating for hardware replacement in the past.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:21 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:21 AM
  • When you try to activate, you should have your product key refused for online activation. At that point you should be given the option to use telephone activation, where you will be able to explain that you're replacing your hardware. While the product key is tied to your current hardware, Microsoft have been very understanding about re-activating for hardware replacement in the past.

Agreed. They were very understanding when my motherboard broke.
    qts
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thank you for all your responses.  I will try the telephone activation option and post the results.   jrf_21
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:58 PM