MAJOR free disk space issues with PP1 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Since installing PP1 beta I have been having serious issues with accessing the available free space on my hard drive pool. I often copy large files (>25GB) to my server. Athough the WHS console shows that I have over 200GB of total free space spread across several drives. I am often not able to copy large files to the server because WHS often associates the current D: drive with a drive that that has <20GB of free space. It does this even when several other drives often have much more free space available. I was under the impression that WHS was supposed to quickly migrate new files to the other disks in order to keep the current D: drive as free as possible.

In desperation, yesterday I was forced to add an additional 750GB disk to my server so that I could try to move some disk images to the server, only to discover that after over 12 hours the server is still showing <20GB available free space. The WHS server console shows that I have over 900GB of free space but I still cannot move a 25GB disk image to the server.

I did not see this issue with the non-beta release. Although it would sometimes take a few hours for the free space to appear after things were deleted or a disk were added, it was at least consistent workable. I now have almost 1TB of unusable disk space.

I am assuming that I need to report this as a bug...can someone forward me a link to the right webpage to do this?

Thanks,

-eB

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:40 PM

Answers

•  Ebony blue wrote:
    Since installing PP1 beta I have been having serious issues with accessing the available free space on my hard drive pool. I often copy large files (>25GB) to my server. Athough the WHS console shows that I have over 200GB of total free space spread across several drives. I am often not able to copy large files to the server because WHS often associates the current D: drive with a drive that that has <20GB of free space. It does this even when several other drives often have much more free space available. I was under the impression that WHS was supposed to quickly migrate new files to the other disks in order to keep the current D: drive as free as possible.

In desperation, yesterday I was forced to add an additional 750GB disk to my server so that I could try to move some disk images to the server, only to discover that after over 12 hours the server is still showing <20GB available free space. The WHS server console shows that I have over 900GB of free space but I still cannot move a 25GB disk image to the server.

I did not see this issue with the non-beta release. Although it would sometimes take a few hours for the free space to appear after things were deleted or a disk were added, it was at least consistent workable. I now have almost 1TB of unusable disk space.

I am assuming that I need to report this as a bug...can someone forward me a link to the right webpage to do this?

Thanks,

-eB

This issue has already been passed along to MS.  See Drive Extender Not Migrating Data for more details.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:05 PM
  • If your system drive has filled up, the changes made to Drive Extender in Power Pack 1 mean that the only way to free up space on it is to remove some files from your server, then move them back. You should probably do this with about 50-100 GB of files to be sure to get enough files to alleviate your current issue.

As kariya21 has said, this issue has been escalated to Microsoft. They know that this is going to be a problem for many users (particularly enthusiasts), and they are actively discussing how to best correct the issue. However, they have already decided that Power Pack 1 will not be delayed to correct it; any fix will have to come out some time after PP1.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:26 PM

All replies

•  Ebony blue wrote:

Thanks,

-eB

This issue has already been passed along to MS.  See Drive Extender Not Migrating Data for more details.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:05 PM
  • If your system drive has filled up, the changes made to Drive Extender in Power Pack 1 mean that the only way to free up space on it is to remove some files from your server, then move them back. You should probably do this with about 50-100 GB of files to be sure to get enough files to alleviate your current issue.

As kariya21 has said, this issue has been escalated to Microsoft. They know that this is going to be a problem for many users (particularly enthusiasts), and they are actively discussing how to best correct the issue. However, they have already decided that Power Pack 1 will not be delayed to correct it; any fix will have to come out some time after PP1.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:26 PM
  • I have tried deleting files from the server. Within the disk mangement MMC I am able to see the newly-freed space

on the other drives but data is not being migrated to those drives to free up the additional available space. Even after adding a new drive, it is now showing that it has 98% (686GB) free but nothing is being migrated to it and my available free space is only 21GB.

Please don't tell me that this is being considered a minor problem. I was better off with the possible data corruption bug, (which never actually impacted me). This problem is VERY serious! I now have several hundred dollars of wasted storage space that is essentially unusable and no way to add any more. I can't believe that someone would pick an arbitrary number like 10GB or 20GB to use as a trigger point and assume that no one would need to copy more data than that at one time. There is nothing more frustrating than receiving an 'Insufficient Free Space' error when you've just installed a brand new 750GB disk into a 'server'.

I really want to promote this product, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that the design team is more interested in hitting target dates than creating a robust thouroughly tested product. After the data corruption bug I would think that MS would be extra cautious about sending out another potentially high-visibility buggy release. After all it is generally 'enthusiast' that review and recommend these products.

Thanks,

-eB

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:50 PM