CRM 4 Outlook client wont connect on installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

I have an SBS2008 Premium setup on a virtual server (no ISA). I have made Server 2008 part of the domain as it appears in the server section under computers and I can log on to it using my dmain name and password.

I have installed SQL 2008 standard on the Server 2008 along withCRM 4 workgroup which I put on port 5555. The part of the install went fine as I can navigate to the CRM via IE on the serve 2008. I have installed the outlook client on some machines, but when I attempt to run it I get stuck at the Intranet/Internet settings. I senter http://server2008:5555 with variations includng the company name and other extensions as it shows on the server when I am logged in to CRM.

I am unable to access it via IE on laptops or the SBS. If I just navigae to http://server2008 from IE I get the IIS page.

What am I missing? open ports, services, privillages, IIS setting, updates... Its driving me mad now I really need help before I kill someone! ME.

I have searched quite a few other forums already and found nothing that is the same situation as mine.

Please, please, please help.

CP
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The problem may have various reasons - from firewall blocking the ports to the lack of connection. Can you contact the server from your workstations? Are there in the same domain? Have you tried with the IP? Recently, I have had similar issue and it turned out that the windows firewall did not allow for HTTP connections. In your case, it would rather be port 5555, but I would give it a try.

Let us know more, so that we can further assist you,
    Kuba

-- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The problem may have various reasons - from firewall blocking the ports to the lack of connection. Can you contact the server from your workstations? Are there in the same domain? Have you tried with the IP? Recently, I have had similar issue and it turned out that the windows firewall did not allow for HTTP connections. In your case, it would rather be port 5555, but I would give it a try.

Let us know more, so that we can further assist you,
    Kuba

Monday, June 29, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Hi Kuba

Thanks for the rapid rsponse.

I can remote desktop to the server fine. I can als log on with my domain username and password so yes, it is in the same domain. I have tried with IP addresses as well.

Just checked the firewall setting on the server and noted that CRM wasn't on the list of exceptions. I just enabled it and it conected.

You have no idea the amount of time I spent trying fruitlessly to get to work, even removing the server from the domain, re-installing CRM, etc, etc.

Thank you so very much, why didnt I just post here weeks ago???

I will be back...

CP
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Hi,

I'm happy I could help you :). That's the power of community and knowledge sharing. There is a chance others faced the same issue, so why not to ask them?

See you soon :),
    Kuba Skalbania
    Monday, June 29, 2009 10:07 PM