none
trying to find out IF EITHER of links is right spot to remove / uninstall visual studio BOTH versions that were partially deleted.

Question

• I had two versions of Visual studio, FREE version, one was 2013 and one was version before.

was working.

until had to do a reinstall of windows 7 and office 2013 both 64bit.

was going to install Visual Studio  both versions THEN INSTALL Visual Studio 2015 free version.

So using the "Uninstall"  in "Control Pannel" / "Programs unstiall" won't work.

AND Turned out some BUT NOT all of Visual Studio was moved to  C:\windows.old

looks like some files might be the files GitHub at this location   https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases    release 5 is what I need.

for the 2013 version. but I have / had a version before couldn't find uninstaller for earlier version also.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt720585.aspx  link took me to question below. 

I do have a folder just like the one below up to \Package Cache\{   rest does not match.   so I am unable to tell if those files should be uninstalled or just deleted.   OR  I MUST keep for other programs.

"The file should be in a subfolder of "%ProgramData%\Package Cache", for example: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{37e19555-e88d-4aed-9d42-82d0784d2b79}\vs_enterprise.exe"

Thanks,

Mark J

Mark J

Sunday, September 25, 2016 7:13 PM

Answers

• I wasn't expecting the answer to already be there. I couldn't see where you asked over there yet which is what I'd suggest. You can also ask general windows software removal questions over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:19 PM
    Thursday, October 06, 2016 12:45 PM

All replies

• Good day,

For question regarding Visual Studio you can use this forum:
    Visual Studio General Questions

Basically, you should always install the old version first and only then the newer version. There can be several versions of VSA as long as you keep this rule :-)

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, September 25, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Or the setup / installation forum here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vssetup

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Monday, September 26, 2016 12:32 PM
    Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Ronen Ariely,

Not sure I understand your post.

Seems like you are talking about having two versions of visual studio on the same machine at one time.

NOT what I am trying to do. NOT trying to install TWO versions of Visual Studio, a newer and older version. DO NOT HAVE COMPLETE FILES FOR BOTH or either.

I am trying to remove ALL of BOTH versions of Visual Studio so I can do a CLEAN install of the newest version of Visual Studio.

My problem is

1. I did have ALSO an version of Visual Studio OLDER than 2013 UNINSTALLER at GitHub.  THAT I CANNOT use the Microsoft program uninstaller in win7 to remove.

2. Installing is NOT a problem, REMOVEING what PARTS remain from BOTH    OLD  VERSIONS of visual studio IS.

Mark J

Thursday, September 29, 2016 5:24 AM
  • Dave Patrick,

thanks for link. 

Sorry if I not clear

But NOT what info I need. Or asked for.

I could only find INSTAL info, NOT "REMOVAL INFO" that is what I NEEDED.

Mark J

Mark J

Thursday, October 06, 2016 7:57 AM
  • I wasn't expecting the answer to already be there. I couldn't see where you asked over there yet which is what I'd suggest. You can also ask general windows software removal questions over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:19 PM
    Thursday, October 06, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Good day PuzzledByWord.

This forum meant to help people to find the right place to ask the question, and not in order to get answer in any topic in the universe :-)

As of this forum, the answer to a question is the link to the right forum where we think they can help you. Let me re advice you to ask the question in the Visual Studio General Questions forum. You can close the thread here as answered as we pointed you to the right place, and move the technical discussion to the right forum :-)

* On the way, I tried to give a short comment regarding the order of installation, which seems not relevant. As you wrote currently I assume that you want to remove the applications in order to re-installed them since they are not working well at this time. I am not familiar with specific issue regarding un-install one version of VS while you have several versions, but again... I assume that in the Visual Studio General Questions forum you can get better answers :-)

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Dave Patrick,

Thanks for fast response.

For your info.  

The closest I got to what I need was at "GitHub" (at this time I am NOT member of GitHub so I was unable to get more info from GitHub.

They had a download(s) to FORCE removal of Visual Studio, if REGULAR uninstall methods did NOT work.

Fun part, download was good for ONLY one version that was installed on my machine. (more recent version, that upgraded it self from older version)

I had no luck at General Questions. Unless I got hint to go to gitHub (do not remember if that was how I got to gitHub about this)

Will close at your request even if I have not got needed answers.

Mark J

Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:18 PM
  • I would have also tried the setup forum for this. These ones might also help.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2014/08/20/visual-studio-2010-uninstall-utility-back-online/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2771441#Force

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/removing-visual-studio-components-left-behind-after-an-uninstall/

Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:51 PM
  • So, did you get your issue resolved?

Uninstalling old versions is a pain :(

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Naomi N,

In one word,

NO.

If I had COMPLETE copy of EITHER year's version.

the first install of VSTO  And Later version that installed when I clicked on yes I would like newer better version.

I could have written down all folders used each version. Then I would know what to delete if standard uninstall did not work.

Seems my best chance of fixing this. Is the hope of contacting the person that left a file to force a uninstall of visual studio on GitHub.

User name seems like name is only for GitHub, so I need to find out if I can become enough of a member of GitHub, to at least try to post question to that person. one question will be, all I could find about file only refers to last version.  So only good maybe for 1/2 of needed uninstall.

Thanks for your 2 links. 

Mark J

Mark J

Friday, October 07, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Dave Patrick,

Thanks for the extra links.

I couldn't find any help for my spot in the visual studio install site. that I recall.

Thanks again.

Mark J

Mark J

Friday, October 07, 2016 7:32 AM