Can I get a Windows Home Server installation CD RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have an older Dell poweredge 2500, it has all the requirements for WHS except a DVD drive.  I have been looking for ways to get a DVD working on it, but it has no other boot options other than floppy, cdrom , or a SCSI hard drive.  It has USB ports but no boot from USB option.

The only other option it does have is a PXE boot option, so if I can't get a CDROM install, can I do this PXE option or some other type of Network load option.

I reallly really like this product and want to install it on this server as it has 3 redundant power supplies.  Any help that you can offer is very much appreciated.

By the way, Dell's servers just don't have any flexible options in them, even my oldest ASUS motherboard with a PIII-450 will allow booting from a DVDROM or any other add in cards.

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:56 PM

Answers

• One other thing on that:
    Every BIOS that I've seen doesn't differentiate between CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-ROM, etc, drives (in the boot order.) 
    The term "CD-ROM" is kind of a generic name for optical drive.

Have you tried installing a DVD drive, and setting the boot order appropriately (i.e. "CD-ROM" as first boot device)?

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:12 PM

All replies

• You really do need a dvd drive to install it - the installation files on the DVD are in excess of 1GB so a CD wont be good enough anyway.

I would suggest contacting Dell as there should be a way to connect a DVD drive to it somehow....

Andrew

Monday, March 3, 2008 6:16 PM
  • One other thing on that:
    Every BIOS that I've seen doesn't differentiate between CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-ROM, etc, drives (in the boot order.) 
    The term "CD-ROM" is kind of a generic name for optical drive.

Have you tried installing a DVD drive, and setting the boot order appropriately (i.e. "CD-ROM" as first boot device)?

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:12 PM
  • Thanks guys, I finally figured something out.  The floppy cdrom combo drive on that Poweredge 2500 is actually two separate devices.  They both use only one connector and the floppy has its own power but the cdrom doesn't.  The reason the cdrom has no power is that it the same type of cdrom that you would find on a laptop.  So, I went and got a DVD drive from an old laptop at the computer reseller downstairs.  Then I had to disassemble both the cdrom on the dell and also take the backplate off of the laptop dvd drive.  Then I could see that the connector and general build of the drives are exactly the same.  Now all I had to do was reassemble the Poweredge 2500 with the DVD instead, and presto I now have a fully functional DVD drive.  I can boot off of it and everything.  So that problem is solved.  Now, Windows Home Server won't see my SCSI drive (yes, I got a bigger one ready 150GB as it has to be at least 70 GB or greater), so tonight I am going to see if I can feed it a SCSI W3K server driver (as Home server is built on 2k3)and get the thing going.

Anyhow, I just want others to see what options they have for these old Dell Servers as there are no longer any parts in stock at Dell and the support staff there don't know how to do this.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 11:21 PM
  • To follow up one last time I had to pull the Perc 3/Di Raid key from the Dell Poweredge 2500 motherboard and then Windows Home Server Beta 2 saw my SCSI drives finally and installed.  Now I can go and buy the real thing and get it going.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  There is actually a second option for doing this... You can take any IDE DVD drive and put an IDE to SCSI bridge on the back of the drive... then feed the Server the SCSI input its looking for. As long as you feed the server an LVD type SCSI signal you're fine. I have to admit that the laptop DVD drive thing is also a very good idea. SCSI bridge cards are available from many different sources....

Mark

Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:53 AM