List of blacklisted product keys RRS feed

• Question

• I own a computer repair shop and get a lot of ailing machines riddled with nastyware.  Occasionally I'll have to perform a repair operation to replace corrupted files within a Windows installation.  

I'm also developing an application which will allow a technician to check a Windows product key against a database of blacklisted product keys so that they can make sure that they're dealing with a legit copy of Windows.  I have had no luck in finding such a list from Microsoft or any other entity where piracy is a major concern.  Where can I get a list of those bad product keys? 
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hi benellism90,
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no published list of "blacklisted keys". A quick and dirty way to check, though, would be to run an internet search on the product key installed on the customer's box. If there are hits on the key ID it's almost certain the key is pirated.

Thanks,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi benellism90,
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no published list of "blacklisted keys". A quick and dirty way to check, though, would be to run an internet search on the product key installed on the customer's box. If there are hits on the key ID it's almost certain the key is pirated.

Thanks,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I think it would better help Microsoft's anti-piracy efforts if they did publish one.  I, like quite a few other repair shops keep my bench network separate from my front network, and I disallow internet access back there, just to keep the potential of further infection to a minimum.  That's where that app will do the most good.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 6:43 PM
  • That's true - but it could lead to more piracy, because pirates could just look for the VLKs on the list and sell em.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:41 PM