Windows XP not valid?? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a full Windows XP Professional OEM copy in a sealed package with some memory on eBay. It has a holographic printed dis and a new COA with the silver thread that says Genuine. After installation, I had to call MS to activate. That went smoothly. Now, trying to d/l updates and WGA keeps sending me off to a Bing search page. I ran MGADT and this is what I got:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-Q4YYG-928W8-VCTMG
    Windows Product Key Hash: pucWPIefIubv/aiC2R0iuCuoeS4=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-011-8991062-22066
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {9ECA2F8B-CCA8-44B1-A2B6-2827E864512A}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9ECA2F8B-CCA8-44B1-A2B6-2827E864512A}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VCTMG</PKey><PID>76487-011-8991062-22066</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-507921405-484763869-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ECS                             </Manufacturer><Model>K7S5A                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>07.00T                          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>03E93BCF0184A06B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1AD0C:Elitegroup Computer Systems Co Ltd
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

BTW, the corresponding partial key codes match the ones on the COA.

How do I fix this?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Bigtex52,

The Product Key is coming up as a Retail copy of Windows XP Pro Upgrade. The Key is Valid and Genuine. 

However, the key is Not new. The key has been activated 22 times between August 2009 and present.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  The Licensing for Retail Windows allows for the Windows to be re-sold and/or moved to a different computer.  I just wanted you to know all the facts.

I have also checked the internet and this key is Not leaked out on the internet. It would appear this is a Genuine retail key being resold by it's former owner. Which is perfectly fine.

As for getting redirected to Bing, that was a problem that we thought we had fixed.  One of the Activation Servers had an issue and when it returned an error, the webserver (for some reason) interpreted the error as a search request and would redirect the webpage to the search results.

As I said, this should be fixed. However, if you see this behavior again, just try Validating again.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, July 23, 2010 9:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by bigtex52 Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by bigtex52 Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:00 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 9:44 PM

All replies

• Hello BigTex52,

Darin Smith the Microsoft moderator will have to look up your product key in the Microsoft system.  He can do this with the info contained in the mgadiag report that you have already posted.

Please be patient, he will get to you today or Monday.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, July 23, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Thanks, Dan! I'll be watching for him.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Hi Bigtex52,

The Product Key is coming up as a Retail copy of Windows XP Pro Upgrade. The Key is Valid and Genuine. 

However, the key is Not new. The key has been activated 22 times between August 2009 and present.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  The Licensing for Retail Windows allows for the Windows to be re-sold and/or moved to a different computer.  I just wanted you to know all the facts.

I have also checked the internet and this key is Not leaked out on the internet. It would appear this is a Genuine retail key being resold by it's former owner. Which is perfectly fine.

As for getting redirected to Bing, that was a problem that we thought we had fixed.  One of the Activation Servers had an issue and when it returned an error, the webserver (for some reason) interpreted the error as a search request and would redirect the webpage to the search results.

As I said, this should be fixed. However, if you see this behavior again, just try Validating again.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, July 23, 2010 9:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by bigtex52 Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by bigtex52 Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:00 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Thanks, Dan! I'll be watching for him.

Are you sure that the packaging says OEM?  If it does, even though the product is hopefully activating, according to Darin it is a retail product and it has been activated 22 time in less than one year. That would really send up the red flag as to think it is pirated or counterfeit licensing as 1. it came from eBay and 2. the packaging does not agree with the key type.   Even if it does activate I am wondering how much longer it will work before MS thinks it is being sold as counterfeit.  I would be interested to know the seller on eBay that you got the product from?   
    • Marked as answer by bigtex52 Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by bigtex52 Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:30 AM
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Ya, scares me a little too! The COA was visible through the shrink wrap so anyone could have harvested the key. The thing that puzzles me is that if it is counterfeit, it is very high quality. The holo on the disk is embedded in the plastic, as is the holo ring at the disk hub. The holo reads "Includes Service Pack 2 but after install, Winver identifies it as SP 3. The MS counterfeit site shows what the genuine disk and COA should look like and this was absolutely correct. The COA says OEM Software. One other thing, the PID in the setupp file in i386 folder on the disk lists the last 3 digits as 000. Is that a retail PID?

I just tried verifying again and again it sent me to Bing's search page. :(

I went on eBay to find the seller and the transaction is gone, nowhere to be found. Shows "This listing has been removed" but gives no reason. The sellers ebay ID was tishahebbllc. PayPal lists a name and address in Maryland, but lists the seller as unverified.

Darin, what do I try next? I am obsessed with making this work at this point.

Thanks,

Ted

Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:47 AM
  • Ya, scares me a little too! The COA was visible through the shrink wrap so anyone could have harvested the key. The thing that puzzles me is that if it is counterfeit, it is very high quality. The holo on the disk is embedded in the plastic, as is the holo ring at the disk hub. The holo reads "Includes Service Pack 2 but after install, Winver identifies it as SP 3. The MS counterfeit site shows what the genuine disk and COA should look like and this was absolutely correct. The COA says OEM Software. One other thing, the PID in the setupp file in i386 folder on the disk lists the last 3 digits as 000. Is that a retail PID?

I just tried verifying again and again it sent me to Bing's search page. :(

I went on eBay to find the seller and the transaction is gone, nowhere to be found. Shows "This listing has been removed" but gives no reason. The sellers ebay ID was tishahebbllc. PayPal lists a name and address in Maryland, but lists the seller as unverified.

Darin, what do I try next? I am obsessed with making this work at this point.

Thanks,

Ted

When I go to eBay and check the person, I see a few Win XP OEM products being sold.  Bet they are going to have problems with them too.  The seller has abandoned the site and withdrawn from eBay.  Good luck getting anything back.

As the disk or COA says OEM but the MGA Diagnostic said it is retail, it is definitely a counterfeit product.  There are just too many inconsistencies (being able to see the COA from the outside of the package, Service Packs, OEM/Retail, seller bailing out of eBay) to have me believe that it is a legitimate purchase of any kind.  The counterfeiters are really getting good on their packaging.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:59 PM
  • The fact that MS reports the key as genuine but activated 22 times in the last year is very troubling to me. The disk looks authentic with the hologram and hub ring holo embedded in the disk. It's almost as if someone repackaged a legit OEM COA with a legit Retail disk that doesn't match. The Start Here pamphlet is very good quality too

I have seen on ebay over the weekend a couple of auctions that have the same exact photo and descriptions with brand new seller accounts. They have zero feedback and are listed as being in different locations as the original seller. Looks like the same seller, though. I have opened a dispute on eBay so let's see how good their guarantee is.

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:07 PM