WHS Back-Up is not running RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS back up service has suddenly stopped working. It has been working fine for weeks (with 5 desktop computers), and suddenly has refused to start. My WHS icon is red, and it states "Backup Service is not running on server RDD-Server-01 (my home server)". Additionally, under the backup tab on the WHS console, it states "The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. This is preventing access to backup settings. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persists contact Product Support."

The only other possible clue to the failure is that, when first started, I received a backup database inconsisentency flag on the WHS icon.

I have rebooted the WHS multiple times, as well as power cycling the WHS. I sent ran TALQ on the WHS and the report was successfully uploaded. I am not really anxious to reload the operating system, but I guess that is always an option.....I welcome any suggestions!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:11 PM

Answers

• I was able to resolve the backup problem by using SME's "Tutorial: How to fix the Network Critical: "database consistency problem" in 10 Steps".  Many thanks to SME!

This problem did cause me to loose all of my backups, but the "fix" was at least easier than a complete system reload.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:15 AM

All replies

• I was able to resolve the backup problem by using SME's "Tutorial: How to fix the Network Critical: "database consistency problem" in 10 Steps".  Many thanks to SME!

This problem did cause me to loose all of my backups, but the "fix" was at least easier than a complete system reload.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:15 AM
  • Glad it helped...

That is my favorite thread here, I'm really glad that it's helped so many people but I'm even happier that the bug is supposed to be fixed in RTM. Big Smile

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:54 AM
  • If this ever happens again please have a look at Fixing Database Inconsistency errors. This should in most cases allow you to get back to a normal state without ditching your backups.

Also if your WHS install is up to date you can also use the reset backup database function from the windows home server toolkit (which you probably already installed since you submitted TALQ report). This will effectively do the same as the solution of SME, however in a supported way.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 4:46 AM
  • You do know this thread was dead for over a year, right? :D
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:05 AM
  • S_M_E said:

You do know this thread was dead for over a year, right? :D

You do know that many of us have recently purchased Windows Home Servers, and are still dealing with issues
    brought up in these older posts?

Chris Shaker

Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:27 AM
  • cjshaker said:

S_M_E said:

You do know this thread was dead for over a year, right? :D

You do know that many of us have recently purchased Windows Home Servers, and are still dealing with issues
    brought up in these older posts?

Chris Shaker

I do understand that but it's still odd, imo, to dig up a dead thread instead of posting in a current one if somebody complained about the same thing. :D

YMMV

Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:56 AM
  • S_M_E said:

I do understand that but it's still odd, imo, to dig up a dead thread instead of posting in a current one if somebody complained about the same thing. :D

YMMV

I agree.  Frankly, I'd like MS to "auto-lock" any thread that has not had a post added to it in 30 days.

Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:57 PM