Call Deflection Supported With OCS 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• When I use call forwarding the target phone shows my company phone number as calling partner.

Usually PBXs are using a feature called "Call Deflection" for call forwarding which gives the advantage of seeing the phonenumber of the person who is calling (makes more sense). 

Does OCS Beta / RTM supports the feature Call Deflection?

Thanks, Captain MESO

Friday, April 6, 2007 2:55 PM

Answers

• The identity of the original caller is displayed even after the call is forwarded.  If the call goes out a gateway to the PSTN, or PBX, the caller-id of the original caller may be lost based on the policy and configuration of those systems.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand your question and how you are defining Call Deflection, then you can configure call forwarding settings in Communicator. If you click on the Call Forwarding button in the top-right corner of communicator, you can see that you can redirect in a number of different ways. Including automatically to alternate numbers or voice mail, or just setup numbers for future call deflection.

When you receive a phone call to your Communicator, the prompt that comes up from your system tray has a button for redirect, which you can then redirect or deflect a call to any number you have setup earlier or to your voice mail.

Does this answer your question? Have you tried it out to see if this performs the same functions as you are talking about?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:36 AM
  • Hi Thom,

Thanks for your input. I know these Comunicator settings with which CD does not work inside my test environment. So I do not know if it is a bug or a not integrated feature.

What i'm talking about is CD. Call Deflection (CD) is a well know standard on PBX systems. While an incoming call is alerting it can be forwarded to another destination keeping the caller ID correct.

What OCS2007 does here is that it simply reroutes incoming calls --> Caller ID is changed - making it inpossible to see who is calling on my device to which I'm forwarding incoming calls.

As far as I know a lot of technology from Media Streams E-Phone (a VOIP PBX company which was aquired by MS) has been integrated inside OCS/Communicator phone part. Media Stream E-Phone has had this feature intergrated. That's the reason why I'm asking.

Could you clarify this for me?

Thanks, Captain MESO

Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:38 PM
  • The identity of the original caller is displayed even after the call is forwarded.  If the call goes out a gateway to the PSTN, or PBX, the caller-id of the original caller may be lost based on the policy and configuration of those systems.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Thom, thanks for clarifying this feature with OCS Beta. I will take a deeper look inside the logs. Thanks, Captain MESO
    Monday, April 30, 2007 9:42 PM