none
Problem to verify that my windows is genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, My problem is that whenever i try to access twitter.com using Google Chrome (as i've been doing for the last years) the problem happened after I've installed Windows XP SP2 and later updated it using microsoft update website until i reached Windows XP SP3

a problem suddenly appeared saying The site's security certificate is not trusted!

so i googled the problem showed that I need to update Windows root certificate ,At first it asks you to make Windows genuine check so I downloaded tool but it failed to proof that my version is genuine, I ran the diagnostics tool and it verified I'm using a Genuine tool
    also ran the MGAD ( Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics tool) and here's the log

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VQJFJ-8RYYQ-XG6Y8
    Windows Product Key Hash: rykxv5M2OnYIG6wKv+g+cvhO4SU=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0233715-23590
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {5CACF536-6942-4F68-958D-1F1A987E141B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005_E2AD56EA-765-8009_E2AD56EA-766-2f0d_E2AD56EA-148-80004005_16E0B333-89-80004005
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{5CACF536-6942-4F68-958D-1F1A987E141B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XG6Y8</PKey><PID>55274-640-0233715-23590</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-725345543-1123561945-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 1525                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A17</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20091027000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>BF583C370184206B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Egypt Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 175DA:Dell Inc|175DA:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

So what's the problem now ? I've tried everything and nothing seems to be working, Kindly help me

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:30 PM

Answers

• Volume Licensing editions of Windows are only valid under certain circumstances, and are non-transferable, and limited to use within the issuing organisation.

MSDN/TechNet licenses are non-transferable, and not for resale. If you purchased this outside of an MSDN/TechNet subscription, then you were sold a counterfeit.

The commonest cause of Windows updates failing because of certificate problems is errors in the machine's settings, including Time, Date, and region.

So far as I'm aware there is no problem with the certificates on the site - they still work with out-of-the-box XP quite happily.

Which site's security certificate is actually failing? - your original post doesn't make this clear.

The root certificate download is at http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=38918  which requires validation - what EXACTLY happens when you click on the 'Continue' button?

{edit} - just found a more recent version of the update... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39802 - same applies

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:43 PM

All replies

• Your installation is using a Volume License Key - probably MSDN/TechNet.

From where did you acquire this license?

For what version/edition of Windows is the machine licensed, according to the COA sticker on the case? (the machine appears to have been built for Windows 7)

That said, the installation is showing as being genuine - check your system date and time (including the year!)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:54 PM
  • I'm sorry if you can rephrase what you said seems like I'm ages back in troubleshooting stuff

This Laptop (Dell inspiron 1525) was originally for Windows Vista, But I've downgraded it to XP Sp2 like 3 years ago at least using an old CD I have

I've done this many times before (Installing the XP version) and I've been doing it since without any problems

and regarding the Time & Date everything is correct

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Volume Licensing editions of Windows are only valid under certain circumstances, and are non-transferable, and limited to use within the issuing organisation.

MSDN/TechNet licenses are non-transferable, and not for resale. If you purchased this outside of an MSDN/TechNet subscription, then you were sold a counterfeit.

The commonest cause of Windows updates failing because of certificate problems is errors in the machine's settings, including Time, Date, and region.

So far as I'm aware there is no problem with the certificates on the site - they still work with out-of-the-box XP quite happily.

Which site's security certificate is actually failing? - your original post doesn't make this clear.

The root certificate download is at http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=38918  which requires validation - what EXACTLY happens when you click on the 'Continue' button?

{edit} - just found a more recent version of the update... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39802 - same applies

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:43 PM
  • The website i'm encountring a problem with is twitter.com

regarding both of the update files you've posted, I've downloaded the files successfuly it assured that my windows is genuine normally (as usual for at least the past 6 years of my life) I've been using the exact same CD for XP Sp2

however i could download the files and whenever i start the executable file nothing changes , any suggestions ?

to be mentioned also after I press continue as I told you before, it says Genuine microsoft software and then allows me to download.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Since the problem only exists for Twitter, I suggest that you contact them for assistance - they should know what the problem is (although I can find nothing on the help pages about it), and it is certainly a problem outside the remit of this forum.

If you still wish to stick with attempting to solve it through MS channels. then you should repost in the Windows Community forums here...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-ecoms

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Believe me I've faced this problem before 2 times, But once I update the Root certificate everything goes perfect.

everytime it works updating after several tries, but this time sth is wrong although all the  circumstances are the same

- Same Windows CD & version

- same laptop

-same applications & websites used

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Thank you Noel, I've just made a restart and everything worked now

twitter works,

As i told you the problem was that when i tried to download normally the Root certificate it didn't pass the genuine test

however using the links you gave me VOILA it passed it (And I'm sure it was supposed to)

So thank you for your help (Y) ..

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:42 PM
  • All's well the ends well :)

Good luck!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:56 PM