Remote Access Feature Suggestion RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed in the Windows Homer Server Console that there is no feature that will give you quick access to finding your IP address and other information to access your home server outside of your home network (i.e. if your server is connected to a router what your routers IP address is and the WHS IP address and what port and any information that may be useful to aid in a remote connection). I think that since WHS is focusing on making things extremely easy for “non-technical” people this would be a step that will help a lot of people out.

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:15 AM

All replies

• I believe the shipping version is going to have the ability to configure uPnP routers without user interaction. So that will take care of some users. In addition, I believe there are plans to offer dynamic DNS which the WHS would probably at least partially set up (once again, if the router is uPnP).

If your router is uPnP, all I think Microsoft is going to be able to do is offer some suggestions on how to find the information required, and change the settings required, because there are just too many different broadband routers out there for them to have configuration routines for all of them.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:36 PM