How to prepare for MTA 98-363/MCSD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I've got a few questions as I'm unsure which direction to go.... I'm currently a web development student, and I've dealt mainly with HTML5 and CSS/CSS3...I'd like to dig into a Microsoft certification, and it looks as if the MTA - Web Development is the way to start, and then move up to MCSD.

that being said, do I *need* to take exam 98-363? (MTA:Web Development Fundamentals) before taking exams 480, 486, and 487? (MCSD:Web Applications)

and if I don't need to take it, would it help to take it?

Also....where would be a good place to study for that? I've looked around and found the asp.net web pages tutorials section - would this cover anything important? Looks like it goes over CSHTML pages, razer syntax, databases, and all of that stuff.

Monday, February 11, 2013 4:44 AM

Answers

• No, you don't have to take the 98-xxx (MTA) exam before starting on the main track 70-xxx exams. In fact, if you have a significant amout of experience on developing web apps, you may find that the MTA exam is well below your level of knowledge. On the other hand, if you are a student or beginner, the MTA exam can help you get a "taste" for the certification exams, and provide you with an initial certification (which is completely independent and does not influence the MCSD).

I suggest accessing the Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) and following the free course on HTML, javascript and CSS, which prepares you for exam 70-480. This is a god way to get started.

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:18 AM

All replies

• No, you don't have to take the 98-xxx (MTA) exam before starting on the main track 70-xxx exams. In fact, if you have a significant amout of experience on developing web apps, you may find that the MTA exam is well below your level of knowledge. On the other hand, if you are a student or beginner, the MTA exam can help you get a "taste" for the certification exams, and provide you with an initial certification (which is completely independent and does not influence the MCSD).

I suggest accessing the Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) and following the free course on HTML, javascript and CSS, which prepares you for exam 70-480. This is a god way to get started.

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:18 AM
  • I agree that the MTA exam is a great way to get the feel for Microsoft certifications.

Here is  a link for the MVA course that Alberto mentioned: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/html5-offer.aspx

There is also a link on that page for a free voucher to take the 70-480 exam.

Good luck!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Monday, February 11, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Thanks guys, I've got that bookmarked and pulled up as we speak. I'm going to work my way through the course - I have a feeling I know most of it already, so that will be good! I'll just skip the MTA and go ahead and start on the MCSD, since that first test is free right now.

Unless getting the MTA will help me get a job until I finish the MCSD? It will take a little bit to get all three MCSD tests done.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:34 PM