Where are the recent backups??? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to do a full system restore, so I booted from my WHS 2011 USB key, and after selecting the computer and finding the server and providing the password, I finally get a list of backups to restore.  However, the newest one is two years old!  When I open the dashboard and check the backups available, I find one from 5 days ago.  There were several attempts during the past 5 days which were unsuccessful because of Volume Shadow copy System errors, and that's why I am trying to restore from before whatever event caused this problem.  And in fact, there are daily backups for a month preceding the last good one.   So I don't understand why the program on the USB key can't find the recent backups.  This makes WHS 2011 worthless for full system restores, it seems to me. 

I must also note that there are several occurrences of the computer name in the list of computers to restore, but I get the same choices for restore points regardless of which one I select. 

Are there bugs in the USB key generation process?

actor39

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:55 AM

Answers

• Good news, fellow WHS users!  I have solved this problem.  It turns out that when I first installed WHS 2011, I made a few mistakes, being new to the system, and deleted my client machines from the WHS lists of clients.  When I did this, WHS asked if I wanted to get rid of the backups which had already been made for that client, or to archive them.  I of course wanted to keep them around, so I elected to archive them.  While investigating this yesterday on the server, I found that I had done the archive 5 times, with some clients being archived more than once. This is probably why multiple instances of the clients were shown in the client selection window during the restore attempt.  When I looked at the dates on the archived files, they were identical to the ones that were presented to me during the attempted full system restore process.  So....especially since these backups were more than a year old, I decided to finally get rid of them from the archives.  And---you guessed it----after I did that, the current backups were listed in my next attempt to do the full system restore. I proceeded with the restore, and it was successful.

I don't know if this is a genuine WHS 2011 "bug" or not, but if there had been a way to access these recent backups, and a way to choose between the current and the archived backups, I have not found it.  I am marking this thread as solved, but there are still some interesting questions to be answered.  I hope this report has helped someone else, and I encourage readers to continue to investigate this situation. 

actor39

• Marked as answer by actor39 Friday, January 11, 2013 3:43 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 3:42 PM

All replies

• There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the USB process as long as the server backup database is intact. I think you are saying that you are trying to restore a Client from the Server? It sounds as though you have a disk problem so I suggest running "chkdsk /r" on both your client and server disks. If one of the disks is really corrupt and unrecoverable, you may well loose data on it. I have never seen the problem of multiple instances of the same computer being shown.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for the comments.  Well, since the system restore process did not get to the point where it involved the client disk, I guess the server disk might be suspect.  I did a chkdisk on the D drive on the server, which contains the client backup files, and it passed.  The vss error occurs on the client, and I have checked the client disk several times.  I have copied the client partitions to a brand new disk, and I am pretty sure the client disk is OK.  The next time I reboot the server, I'll check the C drive.  But I don't see any real evidence of disk problems.

The multiple instances of the same computer name in the USB system restore process could stem from the fact that when I installed WHS, I probably ran the connector software several times before getting it to work properly.  Maybe I should try to remove the client from WHS and reinstall it.  However, that might just result in still another entry for that client in the selection box.   

actor39

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:19 AM
  • Good news, fellow WHS users!  I have solved this problem.  It turns out that when I first installed WHS 2011, I made a few mistakes, being new to the system, and deleted my client machines from the WHS lists of clients.  When I did this, WHS asked if I wanted to get rid of the backups which had already been made for that client, or to archive them.  I of course wanted to keep them around, so I elected to archive them.  While investigating this yesterday on the server, I found that I had done the archive 5 times, with some clients being archived more than once. This is probably why multiple instances of the clients were shown in the client selection window during the restore attempt.  When I looked at the dates on the archived files, they were identical to the ones that were presented to me during the attempted full system restore process.  So....especially since these backups were more than a year old, I decided to finally get rid of them from the archives.  And---you guessed it----after I did that, the current backups were listed in my next attempt to do the full system restore. I proceeded with the restore, and it was successful.

I don't know if this is a genuine WHS 2011 "bug" or not, but if there had been a way to access these recent backups, and a way to choose between the current and the archived backups, I have not found it.  I am marking this thread as solved, but there are still some interesting questions to be answered.  I hope this report has helped someone else, and I encourage readers to continue to investigate this situation. 

actor39

• Marked as answer by actor39 Friday, January 11, 2013 3:43 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the thread. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be very happy to help. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:05 AM