Access DE Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We need to recover some files on a hard drive that came from our WHS v.1 box.  The server was toast (motherboard and hard drive failures) so I built a new WHS2011 box. 

I know I need to access the DE files and not the Shares files directly, however the DE folder only contains a portion of our files, perhaps due to having DE enabled.  The Shares folder shows all of the files and folders we need to recover however they are not accessible and seen as corrupt by the program trying to open them.  The properties of the Shares folders shows the size of the files being correct.

Is there a way to open the files located in the Shares folder and not just the DE folder?

Thank you!

Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:52 PM

All replies

• What you see in the Shares folder are tombstones, they contain info "about" the files and  pointers to the real files.  If you did not have data duplication turned on, then it is likely the files you are looking for are on drive(s) that failed and most likely lost. 

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hello,

We need to recover some files on a hard drive that came from our WHS v.1 box.  The server was toast (motherboard and hard drive failures) so I built a new WHS2011 box. 

I know I need to access the DE files and not the Shares files directly, however the DE folder only contains a portion of our files, perhaps due to having DE enabled.  The Shares folder shows all of the files and folders we need to recover however they are not accessible and seen as corrupt by the program trying to open them.  The properties of the Shares folders shows the size of the files being correct.

Is there a way to open the files located in the Shares folder and not just the DE folder?

Thank you!

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:26 PM
  • This FAQ will tell you how to recover data from a failed server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, July 9, 2012 4:36 PM