System not removing drive RRS feed

• Question

• I trying to remove drive.  Will go for hours and will fail to remove. because of data redundacy errors.  I have done several chkdsk /r /f.  Everytime it says it has fixed the bad cluster.  I still cannot remove the drive. I have also tried deleting the files with the problems.  This does not fix the issue either.  Should I just remove the drive?  It seems my back-ups are located on this drive.  Does the system duplicate this?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:52 AM

All replies

• I trying to remove drive.  Will go for hours and will fail to remove. because of data redundacy errors.  I have done several chkdsk /r /f.  Everytime it says it has fixed the bad cluster.  I still cannot remove the drive. I have also tried deleting the files with the problems.  This does not fix the issue either.  Should I just remove the drive?

Yes.  Power down the server, disconnect the bad drive, the power the server up.  You will get a message about a drive missing.  Just remove the drive the missing drive through the Console.  Then (if you can get the drive to work) connect it to a client and copy whatever data you can recover from it back to your server through the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]).

It seems my back-ups are located on this drive.  Does the system duplicate this?
    No.  Folder Duplication is only on the shares.  You can backup the backup database manually, but considering your backup database is apparently already damaged, it's kind of moot at this point.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:26 AM