Need to replace my WHS system drive with a smaller HDD, is this possible RRS feed

• Question

• Currently my WHS ran on a 500Gb system disk and a second 1TB drive. The 500Gb drive suddenly failed to boot up the unit with the message Invalid System Disk, press Enter to continue. I have removed the drive and tested it on my main pc, and ran basic tests which all ran perfectly ok and I can browse all of the files on the disk perfectly.

All I can assume is that there is a virus or file corruption to the main master boot record or something on this drive, I have currently only got a spare newish 80Gb drive, I was hoping I could install this in the WHS, then do a `Server ReInstallaion` from the original WHS DVD.

Will this work, as far as I can tell the necessary files will be copied across to this new blank system drive from the servers 1TB second drive (which hopefully has still got all of my ripped in DVD and CDs okay!)

One forum states that the size of the Data partition on the system disk (primary drive overall size less the 20Gb OS partition) will limit the size of the files which can be copied over to the server from the network, i.e. the new 80Gb drive less the 20Gb OS partition = 60Gb, so it will slow down any file transfers?

I did try to do a server reinstallation using a really old PATA 60Gb drive, but WHS setup failed stating the main system drive had to have at least 65Gb free.

The old 500Gb system drive, now connected to my main PC, seems to be mostly full of files, about 460Gb full? Surely this means I have to install a 500Gb or bigger new drive to the server?

Can anyone help, Im confused...

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:13 PM

All replies

• Somtimes my motherboard BIOS changes the HDD it should boot from to another HDD.
    Try choosing F8 and select the correct HDD.
    If that works, you can change the boot HDD in your BIOS to the correct HDD.

Don't ask me why this change in the BIOS happens. Don;t know.. but I know it does happen..

"PatientSteve" wrote in message news:6a2cb14e-b0c8-440e-83dc-69ad429bc11f@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Currently my WHS ran on a 500Gb system disk and a second 1TB drive. The 500Gb drive suddenly failed to boot up the unit with the message Invalid System Disk, press Enter to continue. I have removed the drive and tested it on my main pc, and ran basic tests which all ran perfectly ok and I can browse all of the files on the disk perfectly.

All I can assume is that there is a virus or file corruption to the main master boot record or something on this drive, I have currently only got a spare newish 80Gb drive, I was hoping I could install this in the WHS, then do a `Server ReInstallaion` from the original WHS DVD.

Will this work, as far as I can tell the necessary files will be copied across to this new blank system drive from the servers 1TB second drive (which hopefully has still got all of my ripped in DVD and CDs okay!)

One forum states that the size of the Data partition on the system disk (primary drive overall size less the 20Gb OS partition) will limit the size of the files which can be copied over to the server from the network, i.e. the new 80Gb drive less the 20Gb OS partition = 60Gb, so it will slow down any file transfers?

I did try to do a server reinstallation using a really old PATA 60Gb drive, but WHS setup failed stating the main system drive had to have at least 65Gb free.

The old 500Gb system drive, now connected to my main PC, seems to be mostly full of files, about 460Gb full? Surely this means I have to install a 500Gb or bigger new drive to the server?

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Currently my WHS ran on a 500Gb system disk and a second 1TB drive. The 500Gb drive suddenly failed to boot up the unit with the message Invalid System Disk, press Enter to continue. I have removed the drive and tested it on my main pc, and ran basic tests which all ran perfectly ok and I can browse all of the files on the disk perfectly.

Yes, it will work (as long as the primary drive is at least 65 GB, which you already noticed). 

That's old information.  That hasn't been true for quite a while now. 

No, it just means you need enough total space on another drive to accomodate that much data.  Having said that, I personally believe using an 80 GB drive as any drive (primary or secondary) in WHS is pretty much worthless at this point in time.  You can buy 2 TB drives for around 100 bucks if you shop around.  All you're doing by using a small drive like that is limiting your ability to expand down the road (since an 80 GB drive takes the exact same amount of space in a server as a 2 TB drive does).

Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Thank you very much for the helpful responses, I really appreciate it.

I still cannot find any faults with the original 500Gb system drive so if the reinstall goes to plan and all my data is recovered okay then I am going to leave the new 80Gb as the new system drive and wipe clean the original 500Gb drive and and it to the server storage pool as a new drive.

Steve.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Hi, Just to let you all know, I`m offically an idiot, my server is ok now.

I had a new USB external HDD plugged in for WHS backuos, the BIOS had changed itself to boot up from USB first, there was obviously no OS installed on the external HDD.

However, once the BIOS bootup had not found the startup files on the external USB HDD surely it would then look at the normal internal HDDs?

As I thought there must have been some sort of hardware faults with my original 500Gb system drive, I re-partitioned it and installed the new 80Gb system disk and did a server re-installation from the original DVD.

Then I realised I had never considered the duplication option for my shared folders, and after this reinstallation I have lost about 50 DVD rips and I am now reloading them all.

I have refitted the NOT faulty 500Gb HDD as part of the system pool, and enabled duplication for all of my shared folders.

I also removed the 1Tb HDD from inside of the external USB HDD and fitted it inside of the WHS box giving me 80 Gb (System Drive), 500Gb drive, and two 1Tb drives. I can`t see the real need to backup the WHS to an external HDD anyway! or am I wrong here? I can soon do another server re-installation using the original DVD and I have now properly used duplication.

Thanks again for all of your help, I shall try and look before I leap in future, Steve.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Hi, Just to let you all know, I`m offically an idiot, my server is ok now.

I had a new USB external HDD plugged in for WHS backuos, the BIOS had changed itself to boot up from USB first, there was obviously no OS installed on the external HDD.

However, once the BIOS bootup had not found the startup files on the external USB HDD surely it would then look at the normal internal HDDs?

As I thought there must have been some sort of hardware faults with my original 500Gb system drive, I re-partitioned it and installed the new 80Gb system disk and did a server re-installation from the original DVD.

Then I realised I had never considered the duplication option for my shared folders, and after this reinstallation I have lost about 50 DVD rips and I am now reloading them all.

I have refitted the NOT faulty 500Gb HDD as part of the system pool, and enabled duplication for all of my shared folders.

I also removed the 1Tb HDD from inside of the external USB HDD and fitted it inside of the WHS box giving me 80 Gb (System Drive), 500Gb drive, and two 1Tb drives. I can`t see the real need to backup the WHS to an external HDD anyway! or am I wrong here?

Yes, you're wrong.  There is a huge difference between redundancy (Folder Duplication) and backup (Server Backup).  The former protects you only from a single failed hard drive.  The latter protects you from any local disaster (fire, theft, flood, accidental deletion of files, etc.).

I can soon do another server re-installation using the original DVD and I have now properly used duplication.

Thanks again for all of your help, I shall try and look before I leap in future, Steve.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:33 PM