System drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system drive which uses part of the drive for the OS and part of the drive for the initial part of the D: drive.  I have three other drives which contain the bulk of the data.  Can I remove the other side of the system drive and only have my data on the separate drives?

If this can be done, how do I do it?  You cannot remove it from the Windows Home Server Console.  I would go to disk management and delete the the volume. I know there is duplicate data there, but it would be recreated elsewhere.  Is there anything vital about that drive since it is called the D:?

Thanks

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:32 PM

All replies

• Assuming you're talking about Windows Home Server V1:

No, you can't do this. The D: partition is special to Windows Home Server; it contains the "tombstones" which let Drive Extender find your files whatever drive they may reside on.

It is possible, but unsupported and moderately difficult, to "move" the D: partition off of the system drive during Windows Home Server setup. Failing to execute the procedure correctly will leave your server reporting various errors, and the only way to correct the situation is to reinstall (again).

If you're talking about Windows Home Server 2011:

There's nothing special about D:. Move everything (all shares, including client computer backups) to other drives, then delete the partition and extend C: into the unallocated space. Set up server backup again, so it will know about the changes, and you should be in fine shape.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:13 PM