none
Sync Toy 2.0 - "Exception During preview: Failed to Detect Changes" error RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, I am using Sync Toy 2.0 to synchronize my files between the network and my desktop computer at work, and a 250GB portable HDD.  I have been using this fault free for nearly four years.  Last week it suddenly started to throw this error at me - "Exception During preview: Failed to Detect Changes."

    I have four folder pairs that I am syncing.  Three of those are between my network drive and and the portable HDD - no issues there.  The folder pair that is giving me grief is the one between the secondary HDD on my desktop machine at work and the portable HDD.  I tried to free up some space on the desktop HDD (there was only 1 GB free) but even with 10GB free, the same issue occurred. I have tried to do some searching on the net regarding the error code that comes up in the log (0x80070017) but it only comes up with Vista install problems and DVD stuff - I am running XP, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!  An excerpt from the Sync Toy log is included below.

    Thanks!

    Jonno

    Here is the bottom part of the Sync Toy log (Verbose):

    SYNC: 10/26/2009 09:55:59:300: Scanning Complete : 9571 Files Found, 885 Directories Found, 127850742311 Total File Size
    SYNC: 10/26/2009 09:55:59:300: Stopped scanning directory : G:\zzzJonno's Stuff DO NOT DELETE OR FORMAT\
    SYNC: 10/26/2009 09:56:02:941: *** Exception during run: {0} : 
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncException: Failed to detect changes. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070017): The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

    Server stack trace: 
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

    Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Sync()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.RunOnePair(SyncEngine syncEngine)
    SYNC: 10/26/2009 09:56:02:941: *** Exception during run: Failed to detect changes.

    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:15 PM

All replies

  • Hi, just letting you all know that I have fixed the problem...by putting in a new HDD!  While I wasn't sure, a lot of the other problems I saw on posts seem to lean towards hardware failure (or imiment hardware failure) as the cause.  So I popped in a new HDD, copied my files across, sync'd, and hey presto...every thing is working again!  So to anyone who gets this error, I reckon the way to fix it is unfortunately a new drive.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, November 6, 2009 2:44 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:55 AM