none
No USB2 support on Motherboard - will WHS recognise it via a PCI card please? RRS feed

• Question

• I have now got WHS running on a PIII 450 MHz 512MB. Its BIOS has no support for large HDDs - installed ok on 80GB and now will add 60 GB spare. 

I have a 350GB USB2 / firewire drive.  The PC only supports USB1 but I presume if I install a PCI card this will be recognised - advice please?

Thanks

Mel

Sunday, September 9, 2007 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, WHS support "external" device as well, as long it support windows 2003 server drivers, but in general, USB/USB2 unvirsal support been done with most OS.

To be in the safe side, before you buy that PCI card, see it it support windows 2003 server, then you will be fine.

Update: After some thinking, it will work, as really, USB stand for hardware pc as "Universal Serial Bus", even in your USB motherboard bus as it only support ver 1, it will work, only speed wil lbe issue, as USB 2 is much higher speed than the ver 1, in a word, it will work.

My best.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 5:08 PM
  • You should be able to install the PCI card. You'll need a driver for Windows Server 2003, if the driver isn't built in to the OS.

You should not connect a USB device to your server via a USB 1.1 port. It will slow DE to a crawl.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 7:19 PM
  • You should be 100% fine with this. I am running two SATA drives that I put into USB enclosures just so I could utilize them on my server machine. They are both connected via a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card and work just fine.

Monday, September 10, 2007 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, WHS support "external" device as well, as long it support windows 2003 server drivers, but in general, USB/USB2 unvirsal support been done with most OS.

To be in the safe side, before you buy that PCI card, see it it support windows 2003 server, then you will be fine.

Update: After some thinking, it will work, as really, USB stand for hardware pc as "Universal Serial Bus", even in your USB motherboard bus as it only support ver 1, it will work, only speed wil lbe issue, as USB 2 is much higher speed than the ver 1, in a word, it will work.

My best.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 5:08 PM
  • You should be able to install the PCI card. You'll need a driver for Windows Server 2003, if the driver isn't built in to the OS.

You should not connect a USB device to your server via a USB 1.1 port. It will slow DE to a crawl.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Thanks - I will give the PCI card a try!

Mel

Sunday, September 9, 2007 9:00 PM
  • You should be 100% fine with this. I am running two SATA drives that I put into USB enclosures just so I could utilize them on my server machine. They are both connected via a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card and work just fine.

Monday, September 10, 2007 2:13 AM
  • Good - have just ordered a 4-port USB2 / 2 port firewire PCI board to give ir a try - hang the expense £14 + £2 postage

Thanks

Mel

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Update - dynamode usb2 / firewire PCI board installs ok with WHS drviers - CD not needed.

Thanks.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:11 PM