Subscription??????????? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought this Live Care software at Staples this past October and the box says that it is good for one year from date of purchase...now  then...Live Care keeps coming up saying that I did to renew my subscription...why do I have to renew a subscription when I bought the software and installed it on my computer? I would like someone from Live Care to email me with the answer to my question or I will uninstall this off my computer and demand my money back from Live Care....I don't feel I have to have a subscription if I already bought the software. Could someone answer my question????? This Live Care is starting to piss me off!!!!

Monday, January 7, 2008 10:18 PM

Answers

• Windows Live OneCare is a service that includes software, not the software itself. You do not buy the software, you purchase the rights to use the software and the services provided with it for periods of one year for up to three PCs per subscription. See the Frequently asked questions about Windows Live OneCare for more

In other words, you've already bought a one year subscription. However, in order to 'activate' the subscription you own, you need to have a free Windows Live ID and use that to enable operation using the product key or 'token' included in the package that you acquired, similar to using a purchased token to ride a bus for some period of time. Once you do this your subscription will be validated for one year from the date you activate, until then you're getting a free ride using the 90 day free trial that you've downloaded from the Internet when you installed the software.

I know this is all a bit confusing, but it's a basic change in how software is purchased and managed. In the past you 'bought' a software package and installed it to use 'forever'. However, this really wasn't ever true for things like anti-virus and other programs with a shelf life, since they always required a subscription to virus detections updates to make them useful. OneCare simply takes this a step further making the entire program and all updates part of the subscription, meaning you always get the latest copy of the software when you install and are kept up to date for as long as you have the subscription.

If you don't already have a Windows Live ID, or don't know what that is, go to Get your Windows Live ID. Once you have the free ID you can go to the Windows Live OneCare Get it now page and select Activate a product key to enable your one year subscription. Once this is completed the OneCare screen should reflect the subscription status as Activated within 24 hours or less.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 11:21 AM

All replies

• Windows Live OneCare is a service that includes software, not the software itself. You do not buy the software, you purchase the rights to use the software and the services provided with it for periods of one year for up to three PCs per subscription. See the Frequently asked questions about Windows Live OneCare for more

In other words, you've already bought a one year subscription. However, in order to 'activate' the subscription you own, you need to have a free Windows Live ID and use that to enable operation using the product key or 'token' included in the package that you acquired, similar to using a purchased token to ride a bus for some period of time. Once you do this your subscription will be validated for one year from the date you activate, until then you're getting a free ride using the 90 day free trial that you've downloaded from the Internet when you installed the software.

I know this is all a bit confusing, but it's a basic change in how software is purchased and managed. In the past you 'bought' a software package and installed it to use 'forever'. However, this really wasn't ever true for things like anti-virus and other programs with a shelf life, since they always required a subscription to virus detections updates to make them useful. OneCare simply takes this a step further making the entire program and all updates part of the subscription, meaning you always get the latest copy of the software when you install and are kept up to date for as long as you have the subscription.

If you don't already have a Windows Live ID, or don't know what that is, go to Get your Windows Live ID. Once you have the free ID you can go to the Windows Live OneCare Get it now page and select Activate a product key to enable your one year subscription. Once this is completed the OneCare screen should reflect the subscription status as Activated within 24 hours or less.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 11:21 AM
  •  

Heres one for you.

I bought a OneCare subscription 3/18/2008. The very same week I got a email asking me if I wanted to beta test the new OneCare, so I downloaded and installed it.

After rebooting I went to add it to my subscription, It takes me to a site that wants me to give, OneCare a key number I bought it on line and have no key. Its all been registered  to and my account is active. What now?

Garywithms
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:53 AM
  •  Misteesdaddy wrote:

Heres one for you.

I bought a OneCare subscription 3/18/2008. The very same week I got a email asking me if I wanted to beta test the new OneCare, so I downloaded and installed it.

After rebooting I went to add it to my subscription, It takes me to a site that wants me to give, OneCare a key number I bought it on line and have no key. Its all been registered  to and my account is active. What now?

Garywithms

I don't know what email you received about beta testing, but if you were invited to the Perpetual beta and the download was via Connect, you need to go to Connect and read the instructions for what you downloaded. The Perpetual Beta and Production do not exist in the same environment.

If you were invited to another beta (and I'm not aware of any other beta) the same advice applies - information about the beta would be on the Connect web site. There is no public beta ongoing at this time. And any beta version of OneCare can *never* be activated with your paid subscription LiveID.

If you downloaded from http://onecare.live.com - the current trial version and tried to activate with your subscription LiveID, but are asked for payment or a key, then you aren't activating with the same ID you used to purchase your subscription.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:15 PM