Configuring Computer Backup Fail RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings everyone.  Hate to ask but the related topics don't quite scratch this itch yet.

On my previous Thread:  WHS 2003 with U-verse 2Wire 300HGV-B Remote Access

You see that I got the remote access working again, but not without some unintended consequences.  Computers are not seen by the server and cannot backup.  Computers can access their appropriate accounts, files, folders etc though. 

This could have something to do with the domain I was using, or possibly the TCP/IP settings on the server.

Let me explain, when the server went down when the router went out. I attempted to reconnect trying a number of things such as releasing the current domain. That proved a mistake but I no longer have access to the password for the email account it was assigned to. So I setup a new address which also drove a new domain name. So now "https://abc.homeserver.com” grew to https://abcdef.homeserver.com

Now I can see the backups but none of the computers are live on the server.  Basically, they all appear to be asleep.  Therefore I cannot initiate backups since the server can’t see the machines.

I use dual monitors on my machine and there is no physical monitor dedicated to the server.  I have a shortcut on my desktop to the server and I can access all the files on it just fine.

TCP/IP setting may have changed.

On my server I have it set to this:

Use the following IP address:

Static IP Address:  192.168.1.111

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254    (Router/Modem)

Use the following DNS server addresses:

Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.111

Alternate DNS: Blank

I did try a few things in alternate with no better luck

-        --  192.168.1.254   (Router/Modem)

-         --   68.94.157.1  external AT&T ALT DNS

Does this one look easy to anyone?

Thanks

VR, Tank

Saturday, September 1, 2012 4:18 AM

All replies

• Alternate DNS server comes only randomly into use, if the first DNS server is unreachable for a while.

Windows Home Server is not a DNS server - here you should place the IP address of your router as the one and only DNS server in the network configuration (on both client and server) assuming your router supports DNS forwarding.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:58 PM