none
If server hard drive goes do I loose all my data? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read a lot of information concerning what happens when the system hard drive fails.  I want to make sure it is correct because my experience is very different then what all the documentation suggest.  

I have had to do a server reinstallation a lot in the past to clear up my own mistakes and what not.  However I have found that if the reinstallation DVD does not detect the primary hard drive as once having the server files then it will not ask for me to reinstall.  Instead it asks me to do a new installation which as I know it will delete all the files.  

Is my information correct or is it true that once the main drive is toast then so is all other information no matter whether I have duplication setup or not.  
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:20 AM

All replies

• Check out FAQ: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

Short answer is no you will not lose your data, but, read the FAQ first.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:56 AM
  • And the correct answer to your question: Yes, if you do a new server installation without any precautions, you will loose the data on all drives, which are recognized at the time of the installation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:59 AM
  • I have read a lot of information concerning what happens when the system hard drive fails.  I want to make sure it is correct because my experience is very different then what all the documentation suggest.  

I have had to do a server reinstallation a lot in the past to clear up my own mistakes and what not.  However I have found that if the reinstallation DVD does not detect the primary hard drive as once having the server files then it will not ask for me to reinstall.  Instead it asks me to do a new installation which as I know it will delete all the files.  

Is my information correct or is it true that once the main drive is toast then so is all other information no matter whether I have duplication setup or not.
    Since there is some confusion here:  The correct answer to your question in the title of this thread ("If server hard drive goes do I loose all my data?") is no, you do not lose all of your data if your server hard drive goes (unless that drive is the only hard drive in your server).  Losing one server hard drive will not affect data recovery from the other server hard drives.

The correct answer to your question "Is my information correct?" is yes, your information is correct.

Hope this clarifies.  :)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:14 AM