none
Can we use MS Sync Framework to sync with android based devices? RRS feed

• Question

• I am implementing a sync app in MS Sync Framework.

Can we use sync framework to sync with Android based devices.

My requirement is to provide sync between a local folder and and Android device folder(on any network).

Do I need to install sync framework on device also?

One more question, Can I initiate Sync from device?

Thanks in advance,

Ajmera 

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Ajmera,

Sync Framework v1 and v2 don't support android based devices. However, Sync Framework 3.0 will allow you to build offline applications using non-MSFT platforms as clients using an HTTP based sync protocol. The current CTP of Sync Framework 3.0 only supports building sync applications with SQL Server or SQL Azure databases on the server side.

If this is something you are interested in then, please check out the announcements at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synclab/threads?lc=1033&prof=required for more information about how to participate.

• Proposed as answer by Ganeshan Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ajmera Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:46 AM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:22 AM

All replies

• i dont think Android devices are supported at this time (neither v1 or v2).
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Hi Ajmera,

Sync Framework v1 and v2 don't support android based devices. However, Sync Framework 3.0 will allow you to build offline applications using non-MSFT platforms as clients using an HTTP based sync protocol. The current CTP of Sync Framework 3.0 only supports building sync applications with SQL Server or SQL Azure databases on the server side.

If this is something you are interested in then, please check out the announcements at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synclab/threads?lc=1033&prof=required for more information about how to participate.

• Proposed as answer by Ganeshan Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ajmera Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:46 AM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Hi Ganeshan,

Thanks for the information.

This is what I was looking for. 

Regards,

Ajmera

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Thanks for sharing the information. 1. I am glad to know Sync framework 3.0 supports non-Microsoft platforms but how? I could not find any help for Android. What are prerequisites and what is the process to develop offline sync client for Android? 2. Sync framework is able to sync data with Windows Mobile 7. It is able to sync data into Silverlight's isolated storage. Is Sync framework capable to Sync with any custom database solutions? Because in case of iPhone and Android, offline data should be stored some where so mobile app. can use it offline. iPhone has SQLite database available but can Sync framework use it to Sync data? If not solution, I would appropriate if some one can point me to appropriate resource. Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:30 PM