Good---Cheap---UPS??? RRS feed

• Question

• Anybody recommend a good cheap UPS that connects USB....

I have infrequent (maybe 6-7 times a year) power outtages/brownouts....

Really just want something that will gracefully shut the WHS down.......

And I fully realize the you get what you pay for-----and good and cheap are mostly not simpatico....

But hey----you never know----maybe there IS a GREAT one out there----that is pretty inexpensive.....

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

John

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:16 PM

All replies

• I guess that depends on:-

1/ Where you are in the world

2/ How much power your WHS is taking.

I run a Dell PowerEdge 500C with 7 disks (5 internal, 2 USB external) on an APC 350VA unit which is no longer available but an equivalent would be about £40 / $80.

Current units from APC, Riello, Unitek and Belkin of about 500VA to 700VA are available in the UK for about £50 / $100.

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:25 PM
  • I have installed a hundred or so APC BackUPS, thing to watch is th ratings are a bit generous. Typically a unit marked 1000VA is only really about 650-700 true watts. The BackUPS  RS 1000 is/was pretty good

pme

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:40 PM
  • i use the apc back-ups 750 that i can find on sale for about 45$ in U.S. you only need about 5 or 10 min. so the server can shutdown. imo

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 4:50 AM
  •  

How did you load the APC PowerChute Software and what version did you use?----XP or Vista?...(I couldn't find a Server 2003 version)....

Or did you try to let WHS set up it's own settings???

How do you do that??

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:35 AM
  • John, don't bother with installing PowerChute, though it can be done. An APC UPS with USB conneciton will be recognized as a battery by the operating system. This will let you configure alerts just like on your laptop. YOu could, for example, configure Windows Home Server to perform an orderly shutdown at 50% battery.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Thanks Ken----will do.

Finished Woody Leonhard's "Windows Home Server For Dummies" a few hours ago....

Not bad for a non networking guy like me----looks easy enough....

Trying to enjoy some "light reading" as my beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers stunk so bad this year they didn't make a bowl game for the 2nd time in 50 years...

So it goes.....My EX470 comes in tomorrow!!!!

Happy New Year!

John

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:34 AM
  • I concur with you. My lady just bought me a nice APC backup supply for Christmas. I set it up without using powerchute, and it works like a charm. (ctrl panel/power options/)

I tested it several times, shutdown cleanly everytime. I finally set it to shutdown at 20% of batteries  which gets me past most of the frequent powerblips here without having to shutdown, but will shut it down for the big ones.

Sam
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:29 PM