none
Motherboard dead, replacement procedure? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS on an old A64/3200+ and crummy Biostar 6100-M9 motherboard that has been a little flaky on booting up and it finally crapped out on reboot the other day and I isolated that it was the motherboard.  Through a convoluted procedure that involves resetting the CMOS, unplugging the power, going through the BIOS settings, etc. I can get it to boot eventually (but it's maddening!).  No, reflashing the BIOS didn't help.  Half the USB ports don't work and the lack of gigabit LAN have also been downers with this motherboard.

So, rather than scanning ebay and trying to get the same old motherboard I went ahead and purchased a new Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard, E6600, and 2gb RAM.  I have 10 hard drives connected (4 to SATA ports on the motherboard, 2 IDE to motherboard, and 4 to an add-in SATA card (plus and IDE DVD burner)) to WHS.  I run the Disk Managment add-in and the system drive only shows 5% usage, all other drives are 90%+ full except the lastest 750gb drive I added which is at around 30%.

What I need help with is the procedure, I just want to make sure my data survives without having to start from backups.  I've backed up my wife's photos (she's a photographer and is primarily responsible for so many hard drives, RAW photos eat space) to several USB hard drives that are separate from the drives listed above so critical data is saved.

Do I just install the new motherboard, cpu, ram and hook up the old System hard drive only, then to a 'clean' install of WHS.  Or do I do a 'reinstallation' (iirc that is what it is called) to save the tombstones on the Data portion of the System drive?

Only then, do I reconnect up the other 9 data hard drives.  And does it matter if I connect them one at a time, or should I get the controller card drivers installed, then connect all of them at once?

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:26 AM

All replies

• id juste do a reinstallation if whs does not boot up fine with new motherboard - windows xp sp2 can handle a full motherboard swap now so win2k3 should to. you shouldnt eed to remove the data drives as the reinstallation doesnt touch them - ive just done same on my testbed and the data drives are fine
    Friday, March 21, 2008 9:10 AM
  • It depends on how important the data is to you. You might well 'get away' with just swapping the motherboard, but personally I would go for a new installation. Use one drive to set the system up - you will more than likely have to re-authorise the installation by phone. Then, if you have a spare drive, add that to the pool, then install one of your data drives - not in the pool, and transfer the data over to the pooled drive. Once that is complete, you can add that non-pooled drive to the storage pool and proceed to doing it all again with your other drives. That way, you will have an up to date system.

This is a server, do you really want to entrust what could be your lifetimes work to what could be a system with hidden problems.

One point to note, is to ensure you have all the appropriate server 2003 drivers available for your new motherboard before you start anything, no matter which route you follow.

Colin 

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:13 PM