Turning on automatic updates RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would like to turn on automatic updates but I get an error message that says,

" Windows live Onecare cannot turn on automatic update at this time. Please try back later or contact your local administrator if your PC is joined to a domain."

How do I know if my PC is joined to a domain, and if it is how do I unjoin? I did use this particular laptop in the office and the IT guy did work on it so I could go online while in the office, but I dont remember joining a domain. Furthermore I no longer work at this office and the company no longer exsists. What should I do? Live onecare says my PC is at risk because of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:06 AM

Answers

• It is unlikely that the PC is joined to a domain. What that would mean is that when you logged into the PC via the Windows Login, you would provide the domain as well as your login name so that the login could be verified against the domain credentials. If that server was not available, you would receive a warning that it was using a local cached profile for login.

So, to resolve your issue, can you go to Control Panel and click Automatic Updates and enable it there? If it *is* enabled, but OneCare thinks it isn't, try disabling it in Control Panel and then enabling it once again.

If this does not resolve it, please contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:45 PM