General Questions for Dynamics Plugin Development RRS feed

• Question

• We have been asked to look into moving a mail merge process for creating legal documents into Dynamics CRM and adding workflows.  The process requires a data entry form and interaction with databases outside of Dynamics.  I have been researching online, but most info found was on older versions of Dynamics and I am looking for more up to date info targeting 2015/2016.  I have also downloaded the SDK for VS.   My questions are:

• Is it true that Dynamics is built on top of SharePoint?  Does that mean developing "plugins" will be similar to creating web parts?
    • Can Visual Studio be used for the development?  Will MVC work? Or do I need something else?
    • Neither the customer nor I have Dynamics at this point and I am presuming that we will need it for the Development.  All options I found require a 5 license min.  Is there an option for a single license?   I will need to do a "Proof of Concept" before getting a full buy-in from the customer.
    • Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Edited by zBestData Friday, October 28, 2016 3:31 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1.Dynamics CRM architecture is different from sharepoint.

2. Plugins will execute in the background and perform some operations. For instance on create of an Account records i want to create a task.

3. Web parts in sharepoint involves UI but plugins are totally different.

4.You can use Visual studio for development like plugins,custom workflow activities,custom applications etc.

5.Please explore CRM SDK and MSDN  for further details.

Hope it helps.

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer". Thanks and Regards, Mohammad Yusuf Ansari http://microxrm.blogspot.in

• Marked as answer by zBestData Friday, December 2, 2016 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:23 AM
  • SharePoint and CRM are 2 different independent products.

Server side development in CRM is done visual studio. MVC works

You can get a trail version of CRM online 2016 free of any cost for one month.

Regards Faisal

• Marked as answer by zBestData Friday, December 2, 2016 2:26 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1.Dynamics CRM architecture is different from sharepoint.

2. Plugins will execute in the background and perform some operations. For instance on create of an Account records i want to create a task.

3. Web parts in sharepoint involves UI but plugins are totally different.

4.You can use Visual studio for development like plugins,custom workflow activities,custom applications etc.

5.Please explore CRM SDK and MSDN  for further details.

Hope it helps.

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer". Thanks and Regards, Mohammad Yusuf Ansari http://microxrm.blogspot.in

• Marked as answer by zBestData Friday, December 2, 2016 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:23 AM
  • SharePoint and CRM are 2 different independent products.

Server side development in CRM is done visual studio. MVC works

You can get a trail version of CRM online 2016 free of any cost for one month.

Regards Faisal

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Thank You Mohammad and Faisal!

I am have purchased the New Dynamics 365 and using it as a learning platform.  Thank your for your answers.

Graham

• Unmarked as answer by zBestData Friday, December 2, 2016 2:26 PM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Thank You Mohammad and Faisal!

I am have purchased the New Dynamics 365 and using it as a learning platform.  Thank your for your answers.

Graham

Friday, December 2, 2016 2:26 PM