Slow Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Let me begin by saying I have an HP Pavillion a6000n series AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+ running 32-bit Vista 225 gig hard drive w/ recent memory(3gigs) and video card(Nvidia8600gtXXX) upgrades. None of these components appear to be the culprit. Just 3 weeks ago I installed Windows Live Onecare as an all in one antivirus/antispyware/antiphishing/firewall/yadda yadda yadda. I somehow suspect this is the culprit.

Two weeks ago I discovered these symptoms(all at once).....
    -slow internet surfing,pages take much longer to load
    -every site asks me to re-enter my screename/password, even after checking remember me and returning to same site after closing it
    -when typing text random letters are often skipped over.

Last week I was able to go into Restore Files and pick the day just before these symptoms happened and all was well for a few days. Then, it came back. Looking at my history it appears it returned just after my Onecare did a tune-up.(?) When I tried to go back into Restore Files it no longer allows me to go back deep into history. It's only giving me the option of choosing the latest(last 3 days) restore points. I realize this would only be a temporary fix, and that I eventually will need to find the root of the problem.

BTW, all my games seem to run fine. When I open task manager I'm quickly overcome with foreign language. The only thing here I think I can understand is that something is gobbling up my Free Physical Memory. At start-up the Free Physical Memory is at like 3000 mb and rapidly drains down to ZERO after maybe 10 minutes, then bounces up to like 40mb. I really haven't a clue how all this works and after a quick internet search I'm evan more lost. I tried contacting Customer Support for Onecare, but they seemed to be no help.

Any Clues???
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• With 3 gb of memory you should never have zero to 40 mb of free memory. I would suspect either a conflicting program, remnants of a previously installed security product or a malware infection. I would start by opening Task Manager, open the Processes tab, select "Show processes from all users", click the memory heading twice ( this will order the column from highest to lowest memory usage) and look for processes using large amounts of memory. You can Google any processes which look unfamiliar.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:49 AM
  • I'll add that OneCare is the culprit for your temporary Internet files and Browsing history. Open OneCare, click on Change Settings, Logging tab, then create a support log. A report will open in IE. Scroll down to the Performance Plus section. You'll see the items monitored and "corrected" or changed by OneCare and when.

On the PC I am on right now - it shows a daily check of 17 unidentified items. And every few days (no rhyme or reason that I can determine) I see this:

3/25/2008 9:51 PM
    Setting fixed: "Temporary Internet files were deleted."
    Status code: 0
    3/25/2008 9:51 PM
    Setting matched: "Temporary Internet files were deleted."

So, that would explain your browsing History and perhaps even longer page load times. It does *not* explain cookies as I don't see OneCare deleting my cookies for login at web sites that I frequent. It may be happening monthly and I'm not realizing it, but I don't think so.

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 4:45 PM
  •  localracefan wrote:

Let me begin by saying I have an HP Pavillion a6000n series AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+ running 32-bit Vista 225 gig hard drive w/ recent memory(3gigs) and video card(Nvidia8600gtXXX) upgrades. None of these components appear to be the culprit. Just 3 weeks ago I installed Windows Live Onecare as an all in one antivirus/antispyware/antiphishing/firewall/yadda yadda yadda. I somehow suspect this is the culprit.

Two weeks ago I discovered these symptoms(all at once).....
    -slow internet surfing,pages take much longer to load
    -every site asks me to re-enter my screename/password, even after checking remember me and returning to same site after closing it
    -when typing text random letters are often skipped over.

Last week I was able to go into Restore Files and pick the day just before these symptoms happened and all was well for a few days. Then, it came back. Looking at my history it appears it returned just after my Onecare did a tune-up.(?) When I tried to go back into Restore Files it no longer allows me to go back deep into history. It's only giving me the option of choosing the latest(last 3 days) restore points. I realize this would only be a temporary fix, and that I eventually will need to find the root of the problem.

BTW, all my games seem to run fine. When I open task manager I'm quickly overcome with foreign language. The only thing here I think I can understand is that something is gobbling up my Free Physical Memory. At start-up the Free Physical Memory is at like 3000 mb and rapidly drains down to ZERO after maybe 10 minutes, then bounces up to like 40mb. I really haven't a clue how all this works and after a quick internet search I'm evan more lost. I tried contacting Customer Support for Onecare, but they seemed to be no help.

Any Clues???

Quick Update: I've discovered my free physical memory leak via task manager processes. It appears that the process "svchost.exe" is gobbling it up. There are as many as 16 of these same processes running at the same time. When I end the process for the one consuming most memory another 2 or 3 take it's place by climbing ladder. After ending maybe 3 or 4 of the ever escalating processes my memory is stable again(till I restart). A mind numbing google search of this process reveals the process is most of the time necessary but that a trojon or worm hides behind this same titled process. There are numerous "fixes" for this problem but most pertain to every operating system with the exception of vista.
    But wait, There's more! I have also discovered I can no longer listen to radio links, streaming music and youtube videos. The links to all these sites work but when I click on play it just freezes up. Also this very site I've noticed after I log in(going on 10 minutes currently) I continually have the message "Downloading picture http://www.racersbored.com/bored/images/gradients/" in the bottom left hand corner of page. Also, after I had disabled my windows live onecare security suite I tried to download free spyware scan and after a long delay I got the message "Cannot find website".
    I greatly appreciate the feedback received and would welcome any new abuse. Finding the source of the memory leak was a bit of an achievment for me. But now after 2 days googling the cause I am frustrated. Beginning to think I may have to just bring it in to a box store and have someone take a look at it for me. You know, just so I feel like more of a tool.

P.S. For whatever reason, the ONLY website I do NOT have to re-enter my username and password is my yahoo account.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Have a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056

It also works in Vista, but you will need to start the command prompt as an administrator.

In the Vista search box, type CMD and in the results list, right click on command.exe and select Run as Administrator.

When you see the list of processes running under each instance, you can also use the second command to reveal more details of each instance.

This might give you a clue into where the leak is.

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Stephen, I greatly appreciate your timely response but I am a bit lost. When I type CMD in the vista search box(in the start menu) it brings up the program CMD. When I right click that and click run as administrator it brings up a black window with.....

Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system 32>_

There is no "results list" or "command.exe". What the hell am I doing wrong here?
    Friday, April 4, 2008 12:14 AM
  • You're actually doing it right! The results list is what appears above the search box in Vista. When you type something in that search box, Vista will present a number of hits. In your case, command.exe was the only hit. When you did the right click and Run as Administator, you open the command prompt window.

The next step is to type the commands at the prompt - C:\Windows\System 32> is the command prompt in your case. You type the command on that line and hit enter when it is fully types. That will execute the code or command that you entered.

-steve

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:38 AM
  • I should also clarify - the commands that you will be typing are explained in the article I linked to in the previous reply.

-steve

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:40 AM
  • Stephen, forgive me for my ignorance but the article you referenced has got me running around in circles again. In particular the command prompts Tasklist /FI "PID eq processID" (with the quotation marks). I did, however, discover I can see the services svchost.exe uses(?) highlighted in list form using task manager, processes, "go to services". They are listed as followed;

AudioEndPointBuilder

EMDMgnt

Netman

PcaSvc

SysMain

TabletInputService

TrkWks

UxSms

WdiSystemHost

WPDBusEnum

wudsvc

I've learned nothing about these services using google. I can tell you these services are listed under many svchost.exe processes, and that this process quickly heads to the top of the list using the most memory (currently at 60,040K). When i end this process another identical process (svchost.exe) takes its place chewing up memory always with same highlighted services (as listed above).

On a side note, I think I've stumbled upon a work around fix for my slow IE performance and innability to view video or music clips. If I right click IE and "run as administrator" these problems no longer exist. Could it be Onecare is somehow adjusting my user account settings??? I'd appreciate any insight you might have as I am totally lost here.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:29 PM
  • I'm going to have to refer you to support to find out what may be conflicting with OneCare. You really should not need to end svchost processes and it is normal for them to start right back up when they are Windows services, which I recognize at least a few of in your list.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:13 AM