How to Set up a backup CRM Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have 2 server machines of identical specs. Each one has SQL server 2005, and CRM 4.0 installed. SVR1 is our production server and is the Principal server for SQL mirroring, while SVR2 is our standby backup server and is the SQL mirror. During the installation of CRM Server on SVR2, we pointed it to an existing CRM installation (on SVR1). We are NOT using load balancing, or clustering, etc.

Note1: In CRM deployment Manager, both servers are enabled, both have the role of CRM server, but only SVR1 has the role of SQL Server. I believe that since CRM SVR2 was pointed to SVR1, the SQL Server Role was not applied.

I have successfully set up database mirroring for the MSCRM_CONFIG and COMPANYNAME_MSCRM databases, both are synchronized.

I am trying to test our recovery plan and simulate the failure of SVR1. To do this, I shutdown SVR1 altogether.

On SVR2 I issued the following commands in SQL Management Studio:

ALTER DATABASE MSCRM_CONFIG SET PARTNER OFF

ALTER DATABASE COMPANYNAME_MSCRM SET PARTNER OFF

RESTORE DATABASE MSCRM_CONFIG WITH RECOVERY

RESTORE DATABASE COMPANYNAME_MSCRM WITH RECOVERY

Both databases are now ready to use. However, on SVR2, when I go to CRM deployment Manager to point the CRM Server Software to the SQL Server on SVR2, I get the error: Snap-in Unavailable. I think this is because SVR2 does not have the role of SQL server, and since SVR1 is shutdown, no other SQL Servers are detected.

How do I correctly point the CRM Server Software to the SQL Server on SVR2? Once that's done, to get my clients (they all use CRM for Outlook) to point to the new server, I need to reconfigure the CRM for Outlook Client; but are there any other steps?

Thanks.

Al

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:50 AM

Answers

• For anyone interested, it's possible.

You can set up a fully redundant CRM/SQL solution with only 2 servers. Failover is done manually, but I have been able to script everything.

I can post etails if anyone is interested.

Al
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hey all,

I thought I might try to be more clear in my question:

How do I create a fully redundant crm/sql failover solution with only 2 machines?

Has anyone done this?

Al

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:46 PM
  • For anyone interested, it's possible.

You can set up a fully redundant CRM/SQL solution with only 2 servers. Failover is done manually, but I have been able to script everything.

I can post etails if anyone is interested.

Al
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:52 PM
  • I am interested.  Is there some registry key on SRV2 that needs to be updated to point to itself?

TIA

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:14 PM
  • I would be interested in those scripts.  I have the identical situation, 2 all in one MSCRM 4.0 servers.

T.Thompson

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:21 PM