Features Needed: Port Changes for Remote Access RRS feed

• General discussion

• I looked around and didn't notice anyone making such a suggestion, but I know many ISP block standard ports (since their AUP's prohibit running servers).

Currently my ISP (comcast) does allow access to ports 80 & 443, but at my parents house (and when I move this spring) Verizon blocks both 80 & 443 from user's.  The need to change the ports is going to be a huge demand.  Some sort of Auto-detection of blocked ports should be done during the initial setup of the WHS unit.

A possible routine would be something like:

- Use UPnP to configure the router (since 90%+ routers now support UPnP port forwarding) or some other dynamic router magement system.

- Test the connection from outside such as sending a request to Microsoft to Verify connectivity to the WHS unit.  It would test the required ports and verify access through the ISP is supported, if not move the ports to some other controlled port lineup, since the initial page is a standard HTTP (non-secure) page, and it re-directs to the actual login page.

- If tests pass, continue setup.  If fail give some options for some other working port combinations.

For Example:  In the past I used Port 81, 88, 8080 and 8888 for a web server I ran from my Verizon DSL.

Currently as it stands, it requires me to Manually change the ports used by IIS via the IIS magement MMC.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:11 AM

All replies

• This is a good idea. I don't know if it's practical, though; that depends on whether the web application can deal with changing ports or not.

In any case, you should submit this as a suggestion on Connect.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:27 PM