none
Don't have permission to access files

Question

• I just did a server reinstallation and now I don't have permission to access my files. I have my user account setup through the console and full access to everything. Same as before. My username and password are also the same as before.

I can look at all my shared folders over the network but if I try to play a movie or song or copy anything it tells me I don't have permission.

I did just reinstall the connector software on my desktop and that went fine but afterwards I have no access to anything.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:39 PM

All replies

• It works now. I had to enable my guest account on WHS. I don't know why. I am specifically logging in with my username and password. From both Vista and OSX. Strange.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:47 PM
  • scratch that. Still having permission issues. I can write to some shares but not others. But I can now at least read from my videos share.

This is frustrating.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:08 PM
  • So I did another reinstallation and still no worky. Right after install I setup my drivers and then my account. I was unable to play any videos as I didn't have permission.

I installed PP1 and they didn't change anything.

But if I log in as administrator from my desktop I do have full permissions. So something is not working with the account I created on WHS.

Also I noticed in the fast few weeks that my transfers from the server stutter. I play a video from it and I get stutters and slow downs like crazy. I was just copying and pasting a file from the server to my desktop and the progress bar would move along steady and then pause, then move again and pause.
    I have ruled out my router as I have 3 other routers here for me to test with. Issue remains no matter which router is used.
    I have also used 2 different computers to access the server with, with 3 different operating systems and 4 different media players. Same issue on all of it.

Now to throw another wrench in this, it doesn't happen all the time. Most of the time, but not all the time. 2 minutes ago I had all the problems I described and right now I have no problem. 10 minutes from now, who knows.

So i'm thinking maybe a new NIC.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:09 AM
  •  fandibus wrote:
    So I did another reinstallation and still no worky. Right after install I setup my drivers and then my account. I was unable to play any videos as I didn't have permission.

But if I log in as administrator from my desktop I do have full permissions. So something is not working with the account I created on WHS.

Have you tried creating a different user on WHS (along with creating a new user on the client PC to match)?

fandibus wrote:
    Also I noticed in the fast few weeks that my transfers from the server stutter. I play a video from it and I get stutters and slow downs like crazy. I was just copying and pasting a file from the server to my desktop and the progress bar would move along steady and then pause, then move again and pause.
    I have ruled out my router as I have 3 other routers here for me to test with. Issue remains no matter which router is used.
    I have also used 2 different computers to access the server with, with 3 different operating systems and 4 different media players. Same issue on all of it.

Now to throw another wrench in this, it doesn't happen all the time. Most of the time, but not all the time. 2 minutes ago I had all the problems I described and right now I have no problem. 10 minutes from now, who knows.

So i'm thinking maybe a new NIC.

That is definitely another possibility.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

fandibus wrote:
    So I did another reinstallation and still no worky. Right after install I setup my drivers and then my account. I was unable to play any videos as I didn't have permission.

Have you tried creating a different user on WHS (along with creating a new user on the client PC to match)?

I use the same account, username/pass on my other computers that I have an account for on WHS. Same as i've always done.

I did create an account on WHS for my wife and logged in from my desktop using her account and the issue remained.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:21 PM
  •  fandibus wrote:
    I use the same account, username/pass on my other computers that I have an account for on WHS. Same as i've always done.

I did create an account on WHS for my wife and logged in from my desktop using her account and the issue remained.

Based on everything you've said, it cetainly seems like the NIC on the server is acting up.

However, just to be sure, can you find out the exact permissions of a file that you don't have access to from a client (by going through the server desktop) and post them here?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Pulling up permissions on the server for a file I can't access on my desktop, it shows System, RW_D, Administrators and Account Unknown all have full access.
    RO_D has allow checked for Read & Execute and Read. Nothing else is checked.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:18 AM
  •  fandibus wrote:
    Pulling up permissions on the server for a file I can't access on my desktop, it shows System, RW_D, Administrators and Account Unknown all have full access.

The Account Unknown is not normal.  Any idea where that came from?  On the permissions for that user, are the Allow boxes grayed out?  (In theory the Account Unknown user shouldn't matter, but thought I would ask anyway.)

Also, can you go to Computer Management on the server (Start > Run > compmgmt.msc), then click the + next to Local Users and Groups?  Then on the right hand side, find your user account, right-click on it and select Properties.  Then click the Member Of tab and see if RW_D is on that list?

Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:25 AM
  • The account unknown was just there. I didn't change anything under these premission boxes. Yes, the boxes where greyed out in a number of cases.

I will take a look at the rest of your suggestions in the morning. Thank you very much!
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:29 AM
  • You need a bit of background on Windows user accounts:

Every user account has a hidden unique ID. That means that if you delete an account named "jsmith" and then recreate an account named "jsmith" they will have different IDs.

Windows local permissions are based on the unique ID. An example of this is if you have a dual boot computer. Both OS can have an account "jsmith" but each will not be able to access the other's My Documents without fooling around with permissions.

You also see examples of this behaviour when you dual boot or reinstall an operating system and you inspect the permissions - you will see user accounts such as "account unknown" or a long hex string.

The simplest way to deal with this is to take ownership of the relevant directory in the in new operating system (but this can cause problems with dual boot systems).

On the other hand, sharing over the network uses the the username. Therefore you can have jsmith on four pcs at home (with the same password) and they can all access a share on your home server that has read permissions for jsmith.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:23 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

fandibus wrote:
    Pulling up permissions on the server for a file I can't access on my desktop, it shows System, RW_D, Administrators and Account Unknown all have full access.

The Account Unknown is not normal.  Any idea where that came from?  On the permissions for that user, are the Allow boxes grayed out?  (In theory the Account Unknown user shouldn't matter, but thought I would ask anyway.)

Also, can you go to Computer Management on the server (Start > Run > compmgmt.msc), then click the + next to Local Users and Groups?  Then on the right hand side, find your user account, right-click on it and select Properties.  Then click the Member Of tab and see if RW_D is on that list?

Yes, RW_D is on that list.

I went ahead and added my name to the administrators group and now I can access the files. Though I should'nt have to do this.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:06 PM
  •  fandibus wrote:

I went ahead and added my name to the administrators group and now I can access the files. Though I should'nt have to do this.

You're right.  You shouldn't have to.  As a matter of fact, you will probably want to remove your name from the admin group because if you're in the admin group, you cannot log in to the server remotely at all.

You might try resetting all of your ownerships and permissions.  Look at Mark Vayman's first post under Server-Storage Diagnostic Results for instructions on how to do it.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:23 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

fandibus wrote:

You're right.  You shouldn't have to.  As a matter of fact, you will probably want to remove your name from the admin group because if you're in the admin group, you cannot log in to the server remotely at all.

You might try resetting all of your ownerships and permissions.  Look at Mark Vayman's first post under Server-Storage Diagnostic Results for instructions on how to do it.

Following the directions you linked to I now have access to some of my shares. However when trying to do the same thing on some of my other shares it keeps locking up, or pausing for VERY long periods of time. I also have gotten the occasional Disk I/O error which is mostly likely related to my other problem.

At this point, since a server reinstallation didn't work, i'm thinking of just starting over. Clean install, no reinstallation. I have some of my data backed up to external but I have an additional 1.53tb of data I have no where to put. So i'm wondering if I can remove a few drives from the pool and the copy and paste the data from my shares over to these drives that have been removed from the pool. Then do a Clean install. Setup the pool again with some of the drives, copy the data over from the drives that are outside of the pool and then add them after the data is transferred off. Would that work?

I also wonder if my stuttering and pausing issues when transferring or playing video over the network is the result of an overloaded PCI bus? I have 2 Promise TX4 controller cards plugged into two PCI slots. Each card has 4 ports. One card has 4 ports filled and the other card has 2 ports filled and the motherboard has 2 ports filled. Maybe it's just too much for an aging motherboard or the PCI? Board is a Asus P4C800-E deluxe. Using a 2.4ghz northwood P4 and 2gb of ram.

Friday, July 18, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  fandibus wrote:
    Following the directions you linked to I now have access to some of my shares. However when trying to do the same thing on some of my other shares it keeps locking up, or pausing for VERY long periods of time. I also have gotten the occasional Disk I/O error which is mostly likely related to my other problem.

It's possible you may have a hard drive failing (which would explain why some files work and some don't).  Have you tried running chkdsk on all of them?

fandibus wrote:
    At this point, since a server reinstallation didn't work, i'm thinking of just starting over. Clean install, no reinstallation. I have some of my data backed up to external but I have an additional 1.53tb of data I have no where to put. So i'm wondering if I can remove a few drives from the pool and the copy and paste the data from my shares over to these drives that have been removed from the pool. Then do a Clean install. Setup the pool again with some of the drives, copy the data over from the drives that are outside of the pool and then add them after the data is transferred off. Would that work?

Sure, but I think you need to nail down the cause of the Disk I/O errors first.  (Besides, my hunch is, once you fix that, you'll be fine.)

fandibus wrote:
    I also wonder if my stuttering and pausing issues when transferring or playing video over the network is the result of an overloaded PCI bus? I have 2 Promise TX4 controller cards plugged into two PCI slots. Each card has 4 ports. One card has 4 ports filled and the other card has 2 ports filled and the motherboard has 2 ports filled. Maybe it's just too much for an aging motherboard or the PCI? Board is a Asus P4C800-E deluxe. Using a 2.4ghz northwood P4 and 2gb of ram.

I don't think the hardware specs are that bad.  I'm still thinking you have some hardware failing somewhere.

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Just noticed the number of drives you have installed; what size is your Power Supply, as maybe it's becoming overloaded?

Colin

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:36 PM
  • chkdsk did indeed find some errors and fixed them. Now following the earlier guide is working. I can do more testing later after work.

My power supply is a 500w Enermax Liberty.
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  fandibus wrote:
    chkdsk did indeed find some errors and fixed them. Now following the earlier guide is working. I can do more testing later after work.

Good, glad to hear it!  It sounds like your server is on the road to recovery. Smile

The only other suggestion I would make is to strongly consider replacing the drive that had the errors.  It may very well end up causing you problems again in the future, perhaps even to the point of losing data.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:19 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

fandibus wrote:
    chkdsk did indeed find some errors and fixed them. Now following the earlier guide is working. I can do more testing later after work.

Good, glad to hear it!  It sounds like your server is on the road to recovery.

The only other suggestion I would make is to strongly consider replacing the drive that had the errors.  It may very well end up causing you problems again in the future, perhaps even to the point of losing data.

After further testing it seems everything is fine. All my issues have been fixed. Permissions and my stuttering performance.

I had errors on 3 drives. 2 of the drives just said that windows reported free space as allocated. The third drive had some indexing issues but that were resolved. I think it may be related to the fact that drive was used in a Mac Pro and formatted to the mac filesystem and set as GUID instead of MBR. Maybe when I added it to WHS it couldn't completely wipe it? I have had similar issues when pulling drives from a mac, putting them in a windows machine and trying to format them.

Thank you very much for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:21 AM
  • Fandibus, WHS doesn't support the use opf GPT disks in the storage pool. There is a product suggestion on Connect that it do so here, since MBR disks are limited in maximum size, and we are getting close to the day when a single disk can be that large or larger.
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:10 PM
  • I am getting this message on a website which I have using for long time; "You don't have permission to access this server". How can I solve it?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:52 AM