none
HPC Remote debugging fail RRS feed

• Question

• When I use Visual Studio 2010 "MPI Cluster Debugger" to debug processes on a remote HPC Cluster, after "F5" is pressed, it shows error box"Unable to start debugging. The Visual Studio debugger cannot connect to the remote computer.A firewall may be preventing communication via DCOM to the remote computer.Please see Help for assistance". Then I have a look at the HPC Cluster Manager's jobs of that cluster, the "Visual Studio Debugging Session" job is Running and Failed in a while.

How could I make firewall to allow me to remote debug? Should I also change the firewall configuration of remote clusters' compute nodes?

Thank you!

Monday, August 16, 2010 6:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Teng,

The "MPI Cluster Debugger" is based on the VS remote debugger. Could you check if the remote debugger works in your environment? Please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bt727f1t.aspx for remote debugger configuration. According to the error message, you may need to config the firewall.

Thanks,

Qing

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Hi Qing,

Thank you very much for the kindly help!

I follow these steps:

1. Log on one of the HPC cluster compute node(We could call it NodeA). Start msvsmon.exe there.

2. On NodeA, in the "Configure Firewall for Remote Debuggin" dialog box, I choose "Unlock remote debugging from any computer"

3. I start my application on NodeA

4. On my localhost machine, I use VS2010 to attach to the process on NodeA, it succeeds.

But it's strange that when I replace the step3&4 with step5 in the following, the old  "cannot connect"  error shows again.

5. I use Visual Studio 2010 "MPI Cluster Debugger" to debug my application on the NodeA. And I'm sure that I specify my application to run only on NodeA.

Do I also need to configure the firewall on my localhost machine?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Yes, you need to config the vs host machine. Please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126350.aspx

• Marked as answer by Teng Gao Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:03 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hi Qing

It works! Thank you very much for your kindly help~

Teng Gao

Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:03 PM