Time Zone by zip code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

On the the CRM contact form, we want to add a time zone field.  When creating a contact, we want to populate the time zone field based on the zip code or area code of a phone number field.  Has anyone used any provider such data for itegrating with CRM? 

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

J Script will work best for this case. You can go for a classic J Script or can opt for an dependent picklist if both, time zone and zip code filed are to be of type picklist (this works only when you have all the zip codes and time zones available). If you have a  the fields as single line of text, then go for classic J Script. 

Hope this helps!

Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:42 AM
  • what about the data?  Does that information exist in CRM out of the box?
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:08 AM
  • No, quite definitely not. For what geographical area should the data be included? All postal codes worldwide? All telephone area codes in all countries?

Note that the normal way to store timezones is as an integer field, formatted to display as "time zone" - you don't need to create your own picklist for this.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Monday, January 28, 2013 4:33 PM
  • I've used this ZIP code data source for other purposes in the past, but it has time zones and area codes in it: ZIP USA. You would have to load the information into a database (or as a custom entity in CRM), and then build appropriate retrieval logic.

Lucas Alexander
    Twitter
    Blog

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Thanks for the data source, Lucas.

Looks like that might be useful to convert and upload into the

CRM Option Set Community site

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Unfortunately, I think there may be some licensing issues with doing that.

Another idea that occurred to me is that if you had the contact address geocoded, you could look up the time zone via the Google Maps time zone API: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/timezone/. (I know all the CRM docs and examples favor Bing Maps, but I couldn't find a Bing Maps API that does this.)

Lucas Alexander
    Twitter
    Blog

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:17 PM
  • use webservice rather than storing data in db.

it may be useful-  http://www.webservicex.net/uszip.asmx

I havnt tried that but may be work for you.

thank you!

Pooja

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:27 AM