none
Breadcrumb at the Bottom of a Thread RRS feed

• Question

• When a long thread is opened, it may require several scrolll/page up operations in order to close the thread.

Seems that at a 'minimum', the breadcrumb could be duplicated at the bottom of the thread.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    • Changed type Arnie RowlandMVP Friday, April 11, 2008 2:14 PM More of a question
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• Good point, looks like a couple people have mentioned this now, seems like a good thing to add. Thanks!
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Arnie what's your general use case around this?
    You want to go back to the breadcrumb to click the link to the forum?  I find I just generally hit my back button to get back.
    Sam Jarawan STO Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Many web applications discourage the use of the back button, due to the divergence between what the browser considers "back" and what the application considers "back". It's being trained out of us.

I now think that, even if the two concepts of "back" are the same for a given application, the application should provide its own "previous" and "next" buttons, or "back" and "forward" if you like. Even if they don't diverge now, they may in the future.
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 3:48 PM
  •  The back button of the MSDN forums new and old does not work as expected because the pages are AJAX enabled without enabling page history which helps the Microsoft AJAX framework remember the previous page.  This is not obvious to regular developers if you don't know AJAX pages. 

At the MVP conference forum moderators meeting I promised to send the info to the forum team but I have not done that yet so I take some of the blame for the current behavior.  And why Microsoft does not know that is related to interest in AJAX.

http://quickstarts.asp.net/Futures/ajax/doc/history.aspx

http://www.asp.net/learn/3.5-extensions-videos/video-242.aspx

An Elliptic curve is modular ~ Taniyama and Shimura
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 6:28 PM
  • We do keep page history when hitting the back button, can you explain the problem you are seeing?
    Sam Jarawan Social Platform Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:42 PM
  • The back button sometimes takes me to previous site not MSDN sometimes two sites before MSDN, this happens many times a day.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Let me know if you can come up with some repro steps, we should be able to fix this.

thanks.
    Sam Jarawan Social Platform Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:52 PM
  • I browse pages of forums I use for questions to answer sometimes when going back it goes to a different site, I use the following forums.

Framework
    BaseClass
    CLR
    64bits
    Networking
    VS Installation
    C# General
    VB General

These are just the ones I remember.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:03 PM