Why so many window updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Just ran update on my RC installation - and there were 12+ critical updates available.

Just wondering if they will eventually included in the RTM version - or will there always be a lot of updates required 'out of the box'?

Why not release with IE7? Is there a reason to ship with IE6 still in place?

Just curious...

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:16 PM

Answers

• WHS is based on the underlying OS 'Windows Server 2003 R2" With the SP2 integrated into it.   The WHS components do not take into account any patches that have come out since SP2 was released.  This includes .NET Framework 3.0, and IE7 both of which were not part of SP2 or 'Windows Server 2003 R2'

The list of Windows Updates you get after installing WHS is the same list you would get if you were installing "Windows Server 2003 R2".   Microsoft has never included hotfix's on a release disk.  They would have to constantly be creating new media if this was the case.

This is the best your going to do until SP3 gets released, that is if they do release an SP3.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:41 PM

All replies

• WHS is based on the underlying OS 'Windows Server 2003 R2" With the SP2 integrated into it.   The WHS components do not take into account any patches that have come out since SP2 was released.  This includes .NET Framework 3.0, and IE7 both of which were not part of SP2 or 'Windows Server 2003 R2'

The list of Windows Updates you get after installing WHS is the same list you would get if you were installing "Windows Server 2003 R2".   Microsoft has never included hotfix's on a release disk.  They would have to constantly be creating new media if this was the case.

This is the best your going to do until SP3 gets released, that is if they do release an SP3.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I would rather have optional components like the .Net Frameworks be installed separately.  I've seen issues with some Minolta web interfaces not working with .Net 3.0.  Making it a preinstalled component would make things more difficult for me (and probably others).
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:13 PM
  • Understand about being based upon Server 2003R2 - I just assumed that "recent" hotfixes would automatically included, in as much as they are going to be installed eventually. Easier for the info to be included at the factory one time, then in the field thousands of times.

Makes the out of box experience feel more up to date - rather than out of date.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:06 PM
  • If WHS can access WindowsUpdate it will install all updates that don't require a EULA during the installation. That is why MS doesn't say how many times the server will reboot during the installation.

IE7 isn't included becase it adds nothing to the usefullness of the server.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Try installing a fresh copy of XP....!

There are monthly patches - MS can't re-release it to manufacturing every month. The policy is always to issue only full builds or sometimes post-Service Packs (eg XP XP2) - hotfixes may themselves be subject to change or update themselves.

We only notice it because we're installing it - the regular user buying a new box won't see that.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:55 PM