off topic - losing internet activation on vista when swap harddrive multiple times RRS feed

• General discussion

• i would like to know if i will lose my activation if i change the harddrive.  i use harddrive clones to backup my system.  the cloned drive replaces the main harddrive.  therefore, the serial number changes every time i do a backup (couple of times a month). 

ps -- i swap out the main harddrive bacause i have had multiple occurances of a cloned drive not being able to boot when i need it.  swapping the drives means i have a harddrive that i know will boot and if there is a problem with the cloned drive, it will show up when i start booting from it.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:34 AM

All replies

•  

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/Default.aspx

However, in my experience, replacing a cloned drive with an exact duplicate will not trigger the need to reactivate Windows. If it does, the worst case will be that you need to use phone activation and explain what happened.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:52 PM