whs restore wizard cannot find server - network not available RRS feed

• Question

• This is now my second HP desktop that WHS 2011 cannot find the server due to not loading the network driver. I have tried everything I know, like copying the "drivers for full system restore" folder to my flash drive and then installing drivers from the wizard. That didn't work. I tried downloading the Realtek drivers to a flash drive, that didn't work. I deleted the 64 bit folder and left the 32 bit hoping a 32 bit driver would work, but, alas, it did not. I have been using the alternate method of using ClientRestore from the WHS Dashboard on another PC to restore the drive from a USB HD.  I found myself again in need of restoring yet the second HP PC, and still have this network problem.  My first HP was an HP Pavillion Elite PC m9040n, and this one is an HP Envy 700qe. I am frustrated with these HP machines not finding the server from the restore wizard. I get the message to make sure I am connected to the network and my server is o0n, both of which are on.  I know it is a problem with the NIC, in this case a Realtek RTL 8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet NIC. What will make this machine find the server???  Anyone have an idea that I have not already tried?  My laptop cannot make the Client Restore work with a USB HD, so I need this to work properly from the internal HD. 

Jim Marcum

Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:09 PM

Answers

• Jim, I'm not sure if you are still interested, but I think I have found a solution to your (and my) problem.  I went to the Realtek site at http://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/ and downloaded drivers for both Windows 7 and Windows 10.  I uncompressed both zip files and put them on a USB stick and then booted WHS Recovery USB which I had created.  When the recovery asked to load drivers, I put the USB with the Realtek drivers in the system and told it to scan.  It found the network drivers and the restore process then went on completion.

I then took a look at each of the drivers downloaded and the ones that appeared to work were the Windows 7 64 bit drivers.  Even though I was restoring a Windows 10-1607 UEFI based system, the restore procedure needs Windows 7/Server 2003 era drivers.

Anyway this worked for me and out machines are very similar so hopefully it will work for you.  Let me know how it works for you.

Greg ...

• Marked as answer by Jimmarcum Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:36 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:53 PM
  • When I marked this an an answer, my message disappeared, so I am sending this again. Thanks, Greg for the correct answer to my problem. I gave up on ever finding a solution that worked, I have even downloaded drivers before from Realtek, but they never worked. When I downloaded Windows 7 drivers, unzipped them to a flash drive, everything worked as you suggested. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Jim Marcum

• Marked as answer by Jimmarcum Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Thanks, I took your advice and ordered the USB adapter from Amazon and downloaded the drivers. I will try this as soon as I receive the adapter. Here's hoping!

Jim Marcum

• Marked as answer by Jimmarcum Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:34 PM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to use the latest driver from HP? If no, please try it.

If it still doesn't work, as a work around, you may attach the disk to another client to restore the system.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I already have the latest driver, and for whatever reason, ClientRestore, which always worked for me in the past, for some reason will not open the image to restore. I get to my backups, pick the one I want to restore, but it never goes to the next step where I can select what to restore to where.  I always worked in the past, but this left me in a panic. Fortunately, I had made a system image from Windows 10 back on April 12th, which was a complete image of my hard drive. I restored that to a new drive, then restored my data from the old drive.  I could also restore files from the WHS 2011 server, just not the complete restore from the disk. So, I now need to make Windows image backups more often, because I cannot depend on my WHS to work when I need it most, other than to restore specific files when my system is up and running. 

Surely, someone else with an HP machine like my last two must have run into this problem.  I would really like to know in detail how it was solved. Is there something specific on how to get the proper driver files onto a flash drive? I unzipped them and all that was there was another folder with files inside that. I tried all the combinations I could think of to get this machine to connect with the NIC and failed.  Assume I am a "Dummy" when it comes to this issue. Please, anyone, explain the steps in detail to get my HP Envy 700qe to fine the server from the WHS restore disk.

Thanks,

Jim Marcum

Jim Marcum

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:53 PM
  • Hi Jim,
    could you check the basics, such as connectivity at all, ip address, name resolution?

It is often the combination of older Windows PE version and newer network drivers, which is not playing well together.

(Although I have also a self built server 2012 R2 machine with 2 NIC, from which the onboard one is very often not able to connect to Microsoft Update servers or other Internet/Intranet sites, while the other one has no issues at all. The troublesome one is also a Realtek adapter.)

Meanwhile I use for these restore scenarios a external SSD with Windows to Go (created via Windows 10 Enterprise edition 1511) as boot medium, which has a good built in driver support. Copying the related client folder from the server and launching ClientRestoreWizard.exe from there is usually enough (although not on a Surface 2 pro, where the application crashes after entering the password for login to the server).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:51 AM
  • I have the latest version of Windows 10 installed, am running DHCP on a local network. My problem seems to be the Realtek adapter, which I think I will replace or add another adapter to determine whether I can connect with a non-Realtek card.  I still would like to know why I cannot get Client Restore to work, as it always has in the past. I get to the server just fine, but when I select which backup I want to restore, whether I click on "Next", or "Details" nothing ever comes up where I can select which drive I want to restore it to.  

I appreciate the reply, just no solution yet!

Jim

Jim Marcum

Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:59 AM
  • What would happen, if you copy the the appropriate version of Client Restore components from your server (where you can find it under C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientRestore\1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216) and run ClientRestoreWizard.exe directly from within the running operating system on one of the affected PCs? Does this go forward and allows you to select a target?

If yes, we are down to the interaction between Windows PE (the outdated version, which comes from he server) and the network card driver (not each one will work in Windows PE).

And in this case the easiest way would be indeed to use Windows to Go from Windows 10.

Another potential method could be to boot from Windows 10 installation medium, navigate to the Command prompt, have a medium with the above folder ready or copy it to the Windows installation stick and try to launch ClientRestoreWizard.exe from there once you have checked, that you can ping some IP address.

Or you could try to inject a proper network card driver into the original Windows PE image with dism.

Olaf

Monday, May 23, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I have already copied the Client Restore folder to the client hard drive from the server. I have no problem getting to the server using Client Restore from my affected PC, or from my laptop and I have a second 2TB drive to restore the image to. The problem is, when I get to the server using Client Restore, and I select the backup I want to restore, it never gets to the screen that offers me the option of selecting a drive to restore to. In the past, I could always click on the backup I want to restore and it would provide me with the option of restoring to one of the detected drives. It does not get to that point now and there are no error messages or anything, just will not get to the next screen where I can select a restore drive. 

My HP Envy 700qe machine came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10 over the network as an update when that became available. I do not know what Windows PE is, unless that is something the OEM folks use.  So, I not only cannot get to the server booting from my restore disk, I cannot get Client Restore, after selecting the backup I want to restore, to actually open to the next screen after clicking on "Details" or "Next."  I know the network card is the issue for booting up and getting to the server from the restore disk. No matter how I try to make the Realtek drivers available, I get no good result. When I run restore, the network card shows, but obviously, the drivers do not work. I have put the newest drivers on a flash drive, but still doesn't work.  And, I wonder whether after getting to the server from the restore disk, I might still have the same problem that I have with Client Restore. Once I get to the server, and select the backup image I want to restore, I still may have the issue of getting it to open to the next screen.  I really do not know whether I may have more than one problem here.  

Also, I do not know what the "original Windows PE image with dism" is.  Any other thoughts?   

Jim Marcum

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Also, I do not know what the "original Windows PE image with dism" is.  Any other thoughts?   

described here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

Can you still mount the backup from Dashboard? Did you install the WHS UEFI hotfix?

Olaf

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Thank you Olaf for your response.

Yes, I can still mount the image to restore individual files and folders.  I installed the hot fix some time ago, but to make sure, I tried installing it again. I received the message that it is already installed.  I cannot make the network card work when booting from a restore CD, so, I cannot connect to the server. Using Client Restore, I can get to the server and login, select a backup, but the next step never happens. I cannot get to the screen where I can select which drive I want to restore to.  So, what I have been doing as a workaround is to use Windows 10, "create a system Image," every few weeks which provides the ability to restore a complete backup to a new drive, and I can restore more recent data from the WHS server. Not ideal, but at least it works.  I do not understand why I cannot use Client Restore or the restore CD with my ENVY 700qe to get my backup image.  All that works on WHS 2011 is the "Restore files or folders."

Jim Marcum

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:10 PM
  • Hi Jim,
    some more shots into the blue:

Which 3rd party security software is eventually involved on the client blocking communication?

Are Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing enabled on your current profile in Network and Sharing Center under Advanced Sharing settings and is your current network profile not set to Guest or Public?

Did you run ClientRestoreWizard.exe with right click As Administrator?

Is there something in the event log pointing to issues with the process?

Olaf

Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestions. I have done as you suggested, but no good result.  I think I am never going to figure this out. It may be a problem with my WHS 2011, as I tried running Client Restore from the server and it wouldn't open the image, just saw the spinning circle, but never getting to the option as to what drive to restore to. I may have to look at the server essentials in place of WHS.  Thanks for all the help.

Jim

Jim Marcum

Friday, July 1, 2016 1:52 PM
  • You could try to move the current client backups to a different folder on your WHS, try a new client backup and see, if this would offer a restore. If this is the case, the old client backup database may be corrupt in some point.

Olaf

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Thanks Olaf, I will give your suggestions a try when I get a chance. I have been out of town for a while and will likely not get to this for a while. I suspect you are correct, my database might be corrupt in some way that prevents me from restoring from Client Restore, yet allows me to retrieve files and folders individually. I know every time I have reformatted my backup HD and started fresh, the index never goes away, so I may not be doing something right. I followed instructions from the forums some time ago to do that, and everything worked except removing the index of backups.  Thanks for your help and I will let you know when I get to this for yet one more attempt to get it right.

Thanks from Bellevue Nebraska

Jim

Jim Marcum

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:58 AM
  • Jim, did you ever get this working?

From your initial question it sounds like you are trying to do a full Bare Metal Restore.  Create a Computer Recovery USB and then tried to boot off that USB key.  But your machine cannot find the server because your network drivers were not loaded.  Even though you copied the WHS drivers for a full restore off of the server.  Is this correct?

I have an HP Envy 700c also with Realtec PCIe Gigabit network adapter that can not be found by the Computer Recovery process.  I need to do a Bare Metal Restore of a previous backup and cannot continue until I get this working.

So did you find an answer.  If so, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Greg ...

Saturday, October 8, 2016 1:16 PM
  • I never found a solution to this problem. I have tried all suggestions with no result. Normally, I use Client Restore and place my hard drive from the client machine into a drive caddy and restore that way. However, for some reason, I cannot load the image, which likely means I have a corrupt database. I can restore any files or folders, but no bare metal restore. Others likely will be able to use Client Restore successfully. What I did for a workaround was to use Wndows 10 backup to make an image, which I do periodically, then copy files from WHS to ensure I have the latest versions. Not ideal, but works, in any case. No one has given me an answer as to why we can't get the drivers to work for the Realtek on HP machines.

Jim Marcum

Saturday, October 8, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Jim, I'm not sure if you are still interested, but I think I have found a solution to your (and my) problem.  I went to the Realtek site at http://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/ and downloaded drivers for both Windows 7 and Windows 10.  I uncompressed both zip files and put them on a USB stick and then booted WHS Recovery USB which I had created.  When the recovery asked to load drivers, I put the USB with the Realtek drivers in the system and told it to scan.  It found the network drivers and the restore process then went on completion.

I then took a look at each of the drivers downloaded and the ones that appeared to work were the Windows 7 64 bit drivers.  Even though I was restoring a Windows 10-1607 UEFI based system, the restore procedure needs Windows 7/Server 2003 era drivers.

Anyway this worked for me and out machines are very similar so hopefully it will work for you.  Let me know how it works for you.

Greg ...

• Marked as answer by Jimmarcum Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:36 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:53 PM
  • When I marked this an an answer, my message disappeared, so I am sending this again. Thanks, Greg for the correct answer to my problem. I gave up on ever finding a solution that worked, I have even downloaded drivers before from Realtek, but they never worked. When I downloaded Windows 7 drivers, unzipped them to a flash drive, everything worked as you suggested. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Jim Marcum

• Marked as answer by Jimmarcum Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Jim, I'm glad this worked for you as well.

I was reading something that tweaked me to this solution.  The restore procedure for Windows Home Server (either CD or USB) is built upon a Windows Server 2003 and/or Windows 7 base.  And therefore, the drivers needed for the restore have to work with that version of the OS even though the system being restored is a Windows 8/8.1 or 10.

Anyway, as I said, glad it worked for you too!

Greg ...

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:59 PM
  • Once again, when I needed to restore my PC, it couldn't find the Home Server.  I was baffled as it worked after putting the drivers on a flash drive.  This time, even with the drivers it could not find the server, so, I bought an Intel 10/100/1000 PCI network card, but I still cannot get to the server. I don't understand this since it worked last year.  I am still open to any thoughts! 

Jim Marcum

Monday, December 26, 2016 1:16 PM
  • Jim, not sure why this would fail for you.  I have restored my system a number of times since we last talked about this using the drivers downloaded from RealTek.  And more importantly, if you have installed a standard Intel NIC and it is not too new, then it also should work.

When you boot your machine with the Intel NIC installed, does the WHS recovery see the NIC or do you have to load drivers?  If you have to load drivers, does the restore procedure see the NIC after you load the drivers.  If not then I suspect that the drivers are not compatible with the restore.  Exactly what model of Intel NIC are you using?  Is it a PCI or PCIe.  A PCIe might not work as it might be too new.  I have an old Intel Pro 10/100/1000 PCI that works with every system I have and does not require additional drivers to be loaded.  Use it in emergencies!

But I have kept a small flash drive with loaded with drivers for a dozen different NICs safe and sound and as I said it has worked flawlessly.

Greg ...

Monday, December 26, 2016 2:57 PM
  •  

Thanks for the quick response, Greg, you may be right about the card being too new which I ordered from Newegg. It is an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45. I only have a PCIe slot, so perhaps that is the problem.  I plan to keep it, as my network seems faster now, but that does not solve my issue, of course. I wonder if the Realtek adapter is not functioning fully as I often find the internet slow down dramatically if I watch a video and try to advance in the video, then all web stuff afterward is slower. Not so with the new card, which makes me wonder if Realtek is somewhat problematic.  All I know is I am getting very weary not being able to simply go to the server for restores. In the past I never had any problems, but now, its very frustrating.  I will have to meditate on this and see whether I can figure out a solution.  WHS Restore does not see the Intel card, the Realtek shows up in the list, but does not connect. I tried getting the Intel drivers on a flash drive, but that didn't work. The drivers were in a .exe file, so to get the drivers I had to let it extract to a temp file, then find that and copy drivers. It may be that I didn't get the proper driver. There was an .inf file in there, and the driver I downloaded was for Windows 7 64 bit.  This is all I can think of this morning.

Jim Marcum

• Edited by Jimmarcum Monday, December 26, 2016 3:40 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Jim, Intel is really good about supporting their NICs.  I just Googled "EXPI9301CTBLK drivers" and found all the drivers are online and readily available.  Just download all (Vista, Win7, Server 2008 etc) the drivers and put them on a USB stick and then boot your computer with the WHS restore (CD or USB) and when asked, put the driver stick into the system and scan.  Hopefully it will find your NIC and then you should be able to find the server and restore.  Also, I would also start with the 64bit drivers, but you might have to go through all their drivers (Vista, Win7, Server 2008 both 32 and 64) to find the right one.  Just put ALL the drivers onto the USB stick, each in their own directory and the let the scan function find one that works.

You should be able to get this working. 

I have had no problems at all with the RealTek NIC in my HP Elite 700-509c, at least that I'm aware of.

As I mentioned before, I have one USB stick with all needed drivers for a number of my computers.  I have two HP boxes, one with the RealTek NIC and one with an onboard AMD motherboard NIC, plus a four other boxes with various Intel, D-Link and Linksys NICs.  So when any of these need restoring, I just insert my driver USB and scan and the restore process finds the right driver.  Works for me anyway.

Greg ...

Monday, December 26, 2016 4:35 PM
  • I know it's a little late, but I have solved this with the information from Greg above. I have some additional information if anyone finds this and needs the info as well. I took the entire "unzipped" contents and drilled down into the Win7 folder and there is a WinPE folder under that. This folder is the ONLY folder I copied to the USB stick and it worked like a charm. It helps speed up the scan should there be anyone else out there still using WHS 2011 and needing the RealTek Drivers for HP full restores. Hope this helps someone!

Edward

Monday, November 6, 2017 1:08 AM
  • I tried that, but alas, it didn't work in my case. I have since just used the Home Server to restore individual files, but not a full restore of a HD. I use Win 10 system backup which is not as helpful, but I backup frequently and the latest versions of files I can get from my home server. Not ideal, but workable. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Jim Marcum

Monday, November 6, 2017 1:15 PM
  • I got sick and tired of this - every different machine with a different NIC would have trouble finding the server. I bought an AmazonBasics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (search Amazon for item AE3101X1) for $13.99. I downloaded the 32 and 64 bit ASIX AX88179/178A Windows XP drivers from http://www.asix.com.tw and copied them to separate USB flash drives. Now if I need to do a BMR, I just insert the adapter, cable it up, boot the restore CD, insert the correct flash drive and off it goes. This should work with any new machine I acquire no matter what USB version, Ethernet speed or internal NIC.

Don

Monday, November 6, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Thanks, I took your advice and ordered the USB adapter from Amazon and downloaded the drivers. I will try this as soon as I receive the adapter. Here's hoping!

Jim Marcum

• Marked as answer by Jimmarcum Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:34 PM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Jim, I've been following this conversation regarding a USB to Ethernet adapter, and thought it might work for me as well.  So I went out to my local computer store and bought a Star Tech USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter which uses the same ASIX AX88179 chipset as the AmazonBasics.  I then downloaded the both 32 and 64 bit drivers for XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 from the asix.com.tw web site.  I then tried each of the drivers by loading them onto a USB stick, one set at a time till I found the best fit.  In my case it appears the the 64 bit Windows 7 drivers are the ones to use.

I then tried it on my HP desktop system which is similar to your system and that worked great.

Next I tried it on an HP laptop which I could never do a BMR because it uses a crappy nVidia chipset.  While I could load the native NIC driver on this system, the embedded MAC address always returned all zeros so it could never obtain an IP address from my DHCP server.  But by using the USB to Ethernet adapter, I was able to do a complete BMR without problem.  It was slow as the USB ports on this laptop were only version 2, but at least it worked.

This is a great solution to this problem and kudos to Don for cluing me in to something that should have been obvious.

Greg ...

Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:52 PM
  • This information was perfect for MS Server 8 R2 too. Unzipped both sets of drivers onto the USB stick and loaded the drivers during the restore process. Problem solved. Thanks.
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 6:51 PM