none
Can not access Home Server after router change RRS feed

• Question

• I need some help to access my Home Server after I changed out my router. The server was issued a new IP address but I can't seem to ping it yet the shares are available on my network. Remote desktop and the Home Server connection app fail when I try to connect.

Is there something Im missing?

Monday, May 17, 2010 3:05 PM

All replies

• I need some help to access my Home Server after I changed out my router. The server was issued a new IP address but I can't seem to ping it yet the shares are available on my network. Remote desktop and the Home Server connection app fail when I try to connect.

You could try flushing the DNS.  From the client, open a command prompt (as administrator if using Vista or 7), then type ipconfig /flushdns then reboot the client.  Then try connecting and see if it works.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:47 AM

You could try flushing the DNS.  From the client, open a command prompt (as administrator if using Vista or 7), then type ipconfig /flushdns then reboot the client.  Then try connecting and see if it works.

I worked on it last night and have determined that the Acer easyshare Home Server and the D-Link DIR-825 really don't like each other. For some reason when I re-connect the server and my PC running Win XP pro to the old router I can connect to my server through RDP and the connector application, but as soon as I connect to the D-Link router my PC jumps right on board but the server acts as if it is frozen in time and responds so slow that I time out.

I configured the router manually for the server remote access and reserved the IP address of the server but still no luck. My PC sees the server but no luck accessing it even with RDP. I can ping it and it returns fine. I have configured the D-Link for the same subnet as the old router.

Does anyone know if there is some setting in the D-Link controlling traffic on the LAN side? The real downside of this is the server has no video out only USB ports so its tuff to trouble shoot when you can't see what going on.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Please post the output of the command ipconfig /all from both a client and the server.

The FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server may eventually help to analyse the output for some misconfigurations coming from DHCP yourself.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:30 PM
  • I have configured my old router to be "dumb", just acting as a switch and things are working now except remote access. Not very impressed with D-Link DIR-825 router as it is somewhat difficult to configure.

Thanks for the input and I will re-post once I get some answers from Acer on the incompatability.

Hopefully its just 1 patch and 6 restarts away!!!

Matt

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:15 AM