WHS won't boot after install on WD 1TB RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I originally installed WHS on a system I have that's several years old (ASUS A8N with 1GB RAM and 2 160GB drives) and everything worked fine.   I recently got a new Western Digital 1TB, put it in the system, formatted it, and it worked fine.   After that I decided to redo the system with the 1TB drive as the primary drive (I had other applications in mind for the older, smaller drives).   I unplugged all the other drives and ran the install disk on the 1TB drive, which seemed to run fine, until it was time to reboot... and then... nothing.   The drive doesn't boot.   I've tried reinstalling a couple times, but no luck.

The motherboard isn't really all that old, so I'm wondering what the problem could be.

Monday, January 14, 2008 4:26 AM

All replies

•  

Perhaps too much drain on the PSU?
    Monday, January 14, 2008 7:40 AM
  • What error are you getting? What's your boot order in the BIOS?

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:43 AM
  • The boot order is CDROM, then HDD.   So, it goes through the first phase of the install, reboots the computer, it says "press any key to boot from CD....." and when that times out, it's supposed to boot from the hard drive, but nothing happens -- the computer just sits there after that.

Monday, January 14, 2008 4:20 PM
  •  

Perhaps a dumb question but does your controller support a 1tb drive?
    Monday, January 14, 2008 5:03 PM
  • And your BIOS? I just saw a flock of Gigabyte BIOS changes to support 1TB drives.

Oh, and is AHCI involved anywhere here? I'm thinking that maybe the install was booted using AHCI drivers but they didn't actually get installed on the WHS?

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I am currently using this motherboard. It supports up to 2TB drives so that should not be an issue. I had this board hang on booting to Vista when I did the upgrade install and reset the the Bios (jumper on MB to clear Bios) after doing this it began to boot as normal.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:19 PM