Windows 10 S/S-mode: death rattle for Win32 and MS Money RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 S/S-mode appears to exist for four reasons: Making the world safe for Edge (toy browser), Bing (toy search engine), and WUP/Store apps (Playskool apps). And to make Windows safe for removal of Win32.

No doubt, Win32 will be gone at some point. S/S-mode means it will be gone, or effectively so, from most retail PCs sooner rather than later. With Win32 gone, MS Money will no longer be usable. Because it's got such enormous installed base and is necessary for so many specialized industrial apps, Win32 will probably be supported, somehow, for, my guess, ten more years. But I'm also guessing that in maybe three years or less, that support will not be from mainline Windows OS products available readily to us consumers.

I don't (yet?) have any plan or see any alternate path forward for how we manage our finances in a post MS Money world. I'm still accumulating about 5k transaction entries (including split entries) a year. I have open investment lots with cost basis information going back to 8/6/2001. (And IRA positions, where cost basis doesn't really matter, back to 2/12/1996.) As long-time forum readers know, I've already worked out a toolset to get my data out of MS Money. But now one for how to manage our financial affairs, as I'm accustomed to managing them, without it.

Is anybody else planning for what to do in a post Win32 world? What are your thoughts on how to proceed? Are you going to transition out of MS Money before that point when you buy your first PC/download the Windows Update that kills Win32?
    Monday, February 5, 2018 4:31 PM

All replies

• My thought

• Similarly, I am going to continue to work on the sunriise export tool to make sure that I can get data out of *.mny in JSON format to preserve as much structure as I possibly can (https://github.com/hleofxquotes/mnyjson/wiki)
    • I have a VM and an old/cheap Win7 laptop dedicated for msmoney. I keep a minimum set of programs there to minimize dependency that will force me to update.
    • On occasion, I am tempted to start creating a program for my own use but I am not a UI person (and not a native Windows programmer) so I know I will not be able to duplicate what msmoney is offering.
    • Related to above item, I would like to hear what are your MUST have in a personal finance program. I will start a new thread.

Monday, February 5, 2018 4:55 PM
  • For those who are interested and haven't been following the Windows 10S story, this article from arsTECHNICA (an excellent site!) is a nice summary of the current situation and announced plans:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/windows-10-s-becoming-a-mode-not-a-version-as-microsoft-shakes-up-its-pricing/

There is no telling what Microsoft will do down the road, but since many Microsoft Store apps rely on Win32 capabilities it seem unlikely that the Win32 code will disappear.

It would be really interesting to see if someone (Dan Gaier?) could evaluate whether Money could be converted to a UWP app using the desktop bridge:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop

There are, of course, some major hurdles. There are multiple incompatible versions of Money in use, there is no access to the source code, and Microsoft may not release the licenses.   Still, a crowdfunding effort and a modest charge for the completed product might make it attractive to an ambitious developer.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:37 AM
  • No API lives forever. Sooner or later Win32 will have to go, as did Win16 before it. The only question in my mind is when. And even if they have to keep the Win32 API underpinnings for a "long" time, killing the ability to run a Win32 installer will also be a disaster to us MS Money holdouts. I can't imagine there is any way--any way with a business case--to pry MS Money out of Microsoft. So either a) we keep ways to install/run it VMs, etc, b) we hope somebody generalizes a UWP wrapper that can encapsulate an orphaned legacy app, starting only with with an .MSI like MS Money, or c) something I can't foresee.

It's also hard to see how there is a business case for developing Personal Financial Management software. Lots of money has been pissed away by lots of people who have tried and failed. Most home users won't pay for apps. Most home users don't care about managing their finances in any particularly coherent way, much less one that requires any amount of time and effort.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:14 AM
  • Money depends on the IE rendering engine. Once Edge is well enough developed I expect IE (and its weaknesses) will be removed from Windows. After that, Money will no longer run. This will be long before Win32 disappears.

Depending on where you live, there are several programs which can import Money's QIF exports. Some may not import them without residual adjustments being needed.

If you move to another program, make sure that there are a significant number of users and that there is a substantial development and support team, otherwise you may find support and development ends with no data export facility available.

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:30 PM
  • I plan to put all my trust in a Virtual Machine running in whatever hardware is then available, as platform for my Money 2000.

Teabag

Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:39 AM