"Drive Missing" No lights RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys...On my HP MediaSmart Server on of my 1TB SATA drives is howing as missing & the light is out.  When I view the folders and files all is there.  When I try to move the files it tells me the drive is missing.  I popped it out & put it back in hoping to ue the repair on it, but the system won't see it, other than to say it's missing.  I got the replacement drive in from Seagate to add in, but I can't locate the correct procedure for this.  I want to keep as much of the data in tact until I'm sure I've got a good backup.  Once I'm sure I have a good backup I'll replace the drive.  I will also replace the system drive with a 1TB drive, upgrade the RAM to 2GB, and upgrade the CPU.  I have 2 1.5TB external drives to backup to.  Thanks for any help in advance!!
    Friday, July 3, 2009 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hey guys...On my HP MediaSmart Server on of my 1TB SATA drives is howing as missing & the light is out.  When I view the folders and files all is there.  When I try to move the files it tells me the drive is missing.  I popped it out & put it back in hoping to ue the repair on it, but the system won't see it, other than to say it's missing.  I got the replacement drive in from Seagate to add in, but I can't locate the correct procedure for this.  I want to keep as much of the data in tact until I'm sure I've got a good backup.  Once I'm sure I have a good backup I'll replace the drive.  I will also replace the system drive with a 1TB drive, upgrade the RAM to 2GB, and upgrade the CPU.  I have 2 1.5TB external drives to backup to.  Thanks for any help in advance!!

If it doesn't see your old drive at all (which is apparently the case since it says it's missing), then either A) your hard drive has completely failed or B) the connector for that hard drive slot has gone bad.  My suggestion would be to call HP and see if they are able to determine which one is the case.  However, assuming that it is the hard drive that has completely failed, you should remove the failed drive from the server, then remove the missing drive in the Console, connect the new drive to the server, then add it to the storage pool.  At this point, all you can hope for is to connect that broken drive to another PC and recover as much data from that drive as possible.  (WHS uses standard NTFS formatting.  The data will be stored in a hidden folder called DE on that drive.)
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  The 'light' is still out, however the drive status is now 'unhealthy'.  I'm tryig to see if I can get the data off, but the HMS is extremly slow.  There ae now no less than 16 dialog boxes that state, "An unexpected error has occurred in the Windows Home Server Storage Manager."  Can't seem to get rid of them.  Got rid of them running "Repair".  There is this suggestion in How do I avoid losing files? 

When you want to remove a hard drive from your server storage, always use the Remove a Hard Drive Wizard before you disconnect the hard drive. For more information, see Learn more about removing a hard drive.

If you do not have enough server storage available to remove a hard drive, cancel the Remove a Hard Drive Wizard, add a different hard drive by using the Add a Hard Drive Wizard, and then run the Remove a Hard Drive Wizard again to remove the original hard drive.

The problem with this is I have no free slot to add a drive.

Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Interesting...I deleted 350+GB of music and other files in order to recover 223GB of files I must have.  When I run the remove drive I'm still told there is not enough free space even though there are 2 other 1TB drives in the system.  What is the purpose of the Duplication if it can't recover the files.  This makes me nervous about repairing the system and it's continued use.  As a photography studio we were using this as online backup of our clients events and sessions.  We must have reliable storage.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Interesting...I deleted 350+GB of music and other files in order to recover 223GB of files I must have.  When I run the remove drive I'm still told there is not enough free space even though there are 2 other 1TB drives in the system.

How much free space is shown in the Console?

What is the purpose of the Duplication if it can't recover the files.

The purpose is to have the data stored on 2 different physical hard drives in your server.  If you have Folder Duplication active on all shares, you shouldn't lose any data anyways.  If that is the case, just remove the failed drive in the Console, then add the new drive.

This makes me nervous about repairing the system and it's continued use.  As a photography studio we were using this as online backup of our clients events and sessions.  We must have reliable storage.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:05 AM
  • 850GB are free according to Windows Explorer, which has always been a little strange (850GB free of 445GB).  The Server Storage has been "Calculating sizes..." for 45 minutes.  Looks like it only has 3 bars left to go.  I need 223GB to remove the hard drive.  That will be great if the Duplication works that well.  I've been burned on other things before.  Thanks for all of your suggestions.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:27 AM
  • I can't remove the failed drive in the Console.  It tries to "Estimate Available Space"  This fails with the error, "An unexpected error has occured in the Windows Home Storage Manager."  When I press "OK" it continues on.   Then after several minutes I get the same error message.  Then I get a big red X.  There is not enough free space on your home server to safely remove this hard drive.  I can't add the replacement drive without removing the bad drive.  I've turned off folder duplication except on the folder I must have. (223GB).  I've now deleted over 500GB.  Once I press the close button.  I'm back where I started.  If I just pull the drive and add the new one then the Server Storage says I have a "healthy" drive, but it shows the other drive as "Missing".  It won't let me remove it.  Also it doesn't replace my data back to the new drive from the duplicated location.  What now?
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:06 AM
  • It appeas to have worked, however now the slot where I replaced the old drive with the new is flashing an almost purple or pink color.  My Server Storage says I'm doneand that I have 1.5TB of free space.  The Storage Hard Drives section shows all to be Health, but I'm missing a drive.  It now shows the System drive (500GB) 465.76GB and 3 (1.TB) 931.51GB drives.  I can now reach the data I couldn't.  Should I reboot, or does the flashing color indicate activity?
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:29 PM
  • It appeas to have worked, however now the slot where I replaced the old drive with the new is flashing an almost purple or pink color.  My Server Storage says I'm doneand that I have 1.5TB of free space.  The Storage Hard Drives section shows all to be Health, but I'm missing a drive.  It now shows the System drive (500GB) 465.76GB and 3 (1.TB) 931.51GB drives.  I can now reach the data I couldn't.  Should I reboot, or does the flashing color indicate activity?

I don't use an HP MSS, so I don't know what the flashing light represents (you should check your manual for that).  However, you say you're "missing a drive".  What do you mean?  Is it showing 5 drives in the Console, but you only have 4 connected to the server?
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:39 PM
  • It's showing 4 in the console, but I have 5 in the system (3 are Blue & 1 is the strange color  The system drive can't be seen).  When it completed removing the "Missing" drive mentioned above it told me I could now remove the drive from the system.  That drves was already physically removed from the system and replaced with the new drive.  SO I think it's now wanting me to remove the new drive and perhaps add it back it in.  Maybe that's why the different color.  Currently I'm doing a backup of the data while it can be seen.  It says it will take 20 hrs to backup 217GB.  So it will be a while before I pull the drive.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:47 PM
  • It's showing 4 in the console, but I have 5 in the system (3 are Blue & 1 is the strange color  The system drive can't be seen).  When it completed removing the "Missing" drive mentioned above it told me I could now remove the drive from the system.  That drves was already physically removed from the system and replaced with the new drive.  SO I think it's now wanting me to remove the new drive and perhaps add it back it in.  Maybe that's why the different color.  Currently I'm doing a backup of the data while it can be seen.  It says it will take 20 hrs to backup 217GB.  So it will be a while before I pull the drive.

(oops, I typed the numbers backwards, I meant what you said.  :)  )

Good idea, back up what you can now, just in case.  You don't see the system drive in the Console at all?  It should have a Windows logo on the pic of the hard drive.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:55 PM
  • I see the system drive.  I don't see the new 1TB in the console.  You don't see the system drive with the lights on the case.
    Once this is all working I'm going to upgrade the system drive to 1 TB & the RAM to 2GB.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:01 PM
  • I will have to reload the drive when I upgrade.  How do you do this since there is no CD on the HP system?

Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:03 PM
  • I see the system drive.  I don't see the new 1TB in the console.  You don't see the system drive with the lights on the case.
    Once this is all working I'm going to upgrade the system drive to 1 TB & the RAM to 2GB.

If you have 5 drives connected to the server, that means (at least) one of them is an external drive.  Is that the one that's not showing up?
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:27 PM
  • I will have to reload the drive when I upgrade.  How do you do this since there is no CD on the HP system?

You put the recovery DVD in a client PC, then shut down your server and boot it up in a certain way.  (You should check your manual for details on how to do that as well.)
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:29 PM
  • On my system there are 4 internal hot swappable drive bays with the system drive being under all of that.
    So...I have 4 internal drives for storage & one for a system drive.  I have this system almost 2 years so I know there are 5 drives total.
    I also have a plug for an external SATA & 4 USB plugs.  Nothing is plugged into them.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:33 PM
  • On my system there are 4 internal hot swappable drive bays with the system drive being under all of that.
    So...I have 4 internal drives for storage & one for a system drive.  I have this system almost 2 years so I know there are 5 drives total.
    I also have a plug for an external SATA & 4 USB plugs.  Nothing is plugged into them.

The HP MSS has a total of 4 drive slots.  When you purchase the HP MSS EX470, it came with a hard drive in one of those 4 slots (the bottom one if I remember correctly).  That is the system drive.  So you only have 4 hard drives (unless you've done some significant hacking to your system by cramming a fifth drive in the box).
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:35 PM
  •   kariya21 Thanks for all your help.  I got everything backed.  All was working good.  I had 1.3TB of free space.  I was upgrading the system drive and followed the directions at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01212953&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3548164  It all seemed to go well but the Health indicator has been blinking purple and red for at least 6 hrs the second time around.  The first time it blinked red and purple for at least 3.5 hrs before I did the Status/Recovery again.  I thought something was wrong.  None of the drive lights are lit at this time.  I guess as far as the recovery goes I'm on Recovering or resetting the server, step 7.  I cannot get a blue light on the Health Indicator.  If you prefer I can start this on another thread as the original issue has been resolved.  Thanks!!!
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Leave the server alone. When replacing the system drive, it has to rebuild all the tombstones on the D: partition of that drive, and with a large storage pool that can take many hours.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Thank you.  I thought that might be the case, but the documentation said it could take up to 60 minutes, so I was a little concerned.  Also, since there are NO lights on any of the drives I didn't know if it was hung or not since you can't see it on the screen.  I was expecting the other drives to go purple like before until they were loaded, then they would go blue.  Thanks again.  Once this drive settles down I plan on upgrading the RAM & CPU.  I don't know if that will cause a reload of the server again or not.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Ken,  it's been 24 hrs. now and things are still the same.  Flashing red & purple Health light.  No other lights are on at all.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Ok guys...I've patiently waited for 31 hours.  This is normal?  I would at least expect to see the #1 drive lit up.  NO drives are lit still, just the Health light with the purple & red flashing light.  Can ping the server even though I haven't had the opportunity to name it yet.  I guess that could be cached.  When do I give up?  Then when I do, what do I do next?
    Thanks
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Heh. Now is the time to call HP technical support. One of the reasons for buying an HP MediaSmart Server is because it includes free technical support; you might as well make use of it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:01 PM
  • HP was no help.  My MHS is 2 years old. (That's one reason I decided to upgrade).  Well I started over after 32 hours.  Currently I have the "Rebuilding Server" dialog box up.  This is the one that says it can take up to 60 minutes and has the green progress bar.  I'm still conncerened because ALL of the drive lights are still blank.  Nothing is mentioned in the documentation one way or the other, but I would expect at the Drive 1 to be lit up.  I guess we'll see how it goes.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:44 AM
  • I got much further this time.  All drives are lit.  They & the Health light are purple.  I have the Windows Home Server Setup dialog box up.  Configuring your hardware has a check mark by it.  Recovering your data & Starting Windows Home Server just have bullets beside them.  Across the bottom of the screen it says "Server initialization failed."  "Windows Home Server initialization failed.  Please contact Windows Home Server Support.  HP will not help.  The box is too old.  The instructions above say if the recovery fails, see Recovery fails on page 7-12.  There is no 7-12.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:20 AM
  • The problm seems to be with the Home Server Connector.  I've ran the Home Server Toolkit and steped through any issue found and corrected it.  Still says it can't see the server, which is strange because I can ping it by name (HPSERVER) or IP.  I haven't been able to give it the name I was using yet, since that screen hasn't yet come up.  It always stops during the Home Server Connector installation.  I could install from the server instead of CD, but I don't know the default admin password.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:14 PM
  • OK...I'm up and running.  Can anyone tell me why I only show in Server Storage Total Size 3.64TB & Free Space 2.52TB  When I've done nothing yet?  I lost all the data I had on the drives.  I have 3 Storage Drives at 931.51 GB Capacity each & the system drive is 931.51 GB as well.  All were 1TB drives.  Just wondering...
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:43 PM
  • OK...I'm up and running.  Can anyone tell me why I only show in Server Storage Total Size 3.64TB & Free Space 2.52TB  When I've done nothing yet?  I lost all the data I had on the drives.  I have 3 Storage Drives at 931.51 GB Capacity each & the system drive is 931.51 GB as well.  All were 1TB drives.  Just wondering...

If you did a Server Recovery, it's supposed to keep your data.  Only a Factory Reset wipes everything.  Which one did you do?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:42 AM
  • If the "rebuilding server" process didn't finish or was aborted, you may not have the tombstones linked back to the data in those drives. I suspect you have the data (3.64 - 2.52 = 1.12 TB of data) somewhere in the hidden folders on those drives - the DE\shares folders
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:54 AM