what is wrong about the soket RRS feed

• Question

• I try to submit  a easy job on the wccs.

[01:2772]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket connection closed.
    [01:2228]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket connection closed.
    [01:1856]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket connection closed.

But if I use MPICH2, it works!

why?

Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you please post the exact command line you are using to submit this job?

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:29 PM
  •  

I try to submit a job on the wccs 2003.

the code:

#include"mpi.h"
    #include<stdio.h>
    void main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
     int rank;
     int size;
     MPI_Init(&argc,&argv);
     MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&rank);
     MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&size);
     printf("hello");
     MPI_Finalize();

}

but  it  does not work.

the error :

[01:2772]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket connection closed.
    [01:2228]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket connection closed.
    [01:1856]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket connection closed.

I use mpich2

it work well.

I use the job scheduler to submit the job,but it still has the error.

I use the command line to run the program,I type the command :

mpiexec -n 1 hello.exe.

it still has the same error.

I use the mpich2 "mpiexe" under the \mpich2\bin.

it is ok , I don't know why.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:10 AM
  • Please ensure that you are linked to the msmpi library and not the mpich2 library.

Can you please verify this?

Friday, May 9, 2008 1:44 AM
  • how to link the msmpi library ? I don't find the msmpi library .

I write the code by vs2005,and add the Include directory that is \mpich2\include and the lib directory that is \mpich2\lib.

How to use the msmpi?

thanks

I don't find the directory "\Program Files\Microsoft Compute Cluster Pack\lib\"
    Friday, May 9, 2008 1:54 AM
  • You will need to link to msmpi.lib

Did you install the Compute Cluster Pack SDK?

You can find the SDK here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d8462378-2f68-409d-9cb3-02312bc23bfd&DisplayLang=en

One you install the SDK, then you will be able to link to the mpi libraries.

I believe the folder should be \Program Files\Microsoft Compute Cluster Pack\lib for the lib directory and "\Program Files\Microsoft Compute Cluster Pack\include" for the include directory.

Please see this post for more information https://windowshpc.net/Blogs/Developer/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=61ccc406%2D318b%2D4d7a%2D9246%2D7e571d63eb6f&ID=12

Hope that helps

Friday, May 9, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Thank you very much,It is helpful to me.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:19 AM
  • I am currently working on HPC Server 2008. I am trying to use the MPICH2 implementation of MPI to work rather than MSMPI, because MPICH2 supports calling MPI from multiple threads.

The problem is that I can't get the latest version of MPICH2 to work. I have absolutely no problems getting the MSMPI to work, but I don't want MSMPI until the threading issue is fixed.

I get an error message. After the errors the programs hangs.

There error messages are:

F:\MPI_Test\x64\Release>mpiexec -n 4 MPI_Test
    [01:2472]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket conne
    ction closed.
    [01:1580]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket conne
    ction closed.
    [01:300]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket connec
    tion closed.
    [01:3260]...ERROR:unable to read the cmd header on the pmi context, socket conne
    ction closed.

What I am missing???????

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:34 PM
  • You need to install MPICH2 mpiexec and smpd and avoid MSMPI mpiexec and smpd. The issue that you're facing is that programs compiled with MPICH2 libraries are not compatible with MSMPI smpd/mpiexec.

To start I suggest that you put MPICH2 mpiexec/smpd and the mpi.dll in a single directory as your app and run it on a single computer.

thanks,
    .Erez
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:08 PM