Create package that works on VS05 and VS08 RRS feed

• Question

• I have to create a package that works on VS05 and VS08. I am starting with a working one made with:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.9.0

But on a machine without Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.9.0 (has 05 installed, but not 08), the package dll won't load.  

So, I decided to back port it be a VS05 style package -- but, I am trying to build it with VS08

I removed my reference to the 9.0 dlls, and only have references to Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell and related assemblies

My problem is that RegPkg gets run at the end of the build -- it fails because it can't find entries (I understand why -- regpkg from 08 only understand MS.VS.Shell.9.0 -- that's fine)

a. How do I control which regpkg gets called? Can I make my VS08 use a different regpkg?

b. Do I even need it to be called at build time (assuming that I don't care about running it in the debugger)?  
    I can't see what makes it get called -- would just like to turn it off

c. Would the resulting dll be able to be used with Visual Studio 08? My guess is yes -- as long as my installer registers it correctly.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:28 PM

All replies

• Ok, found

<UseVS2005MPF>true</UseVS2005MPF>

and figured out that I can probably turn everything off by removing the VsSdk.targets from the build
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:26 PM