Restore Location Choices, New User Account, RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully, these are old questions with easy answers. I had a near-complete failure and have replaced the motherboard. I've reinstalled OneCare and am attempting a Restore. I am being prompted in the Restore, because I have a new user account (for the new OneCare installation), whether I want to restore to a named user account [which I THINK is my new installation] or to a "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RESTORE" folder.

My broad question is, What are the considerations in restoring to each of these two places? I plan to transfer my subscription over to the new user account once the Restore is completed (I'm working through some Microsoft help group with respect to the subscription, and I have understood them to suggest I perform the Restore before worrying about the subscription transfer). Is it "safe" to restore to the Restore folder? Will I then be able to transfer things over from there to the "primary folders" as possible?

I also am interested in recovering as many file types as possible (e.g., *.exe files) ... some of which apparently can't be restored with the new version of OneCare. I believe the backup was made with the previous version of OneCare; will these other file types remain in the Backup and be available for manual recovery?

Thanks,

Dave

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:10 PM

Answers

• Unless you had OneCare backup in Version 1.0 backing up specific folders, meaning you configured it to backup all files located in \folder, then your exe files have never been backed up by OneCare. If you do have a 1.0 backup, yes, you can selectively restore from older backups. The issue is not that OneCare can't restore an exe file, it is that it doesn't backup programs or system files, which an exe file is.

As for the destination, OneCare restores to the exact same location as the data was backed up from unless the files already exist in the destination - which is likely to be the case if your User Account is named the same on the PC following the rebuild. Any files that would be overwritten go to the aforementioned \Restore location. Yes, you can then move data from the Restore folder as desired.

You mentioned the subscription and I'll comment on that. If your OneCare subscription is current, meaning that there is time left until expiration, there is no transfer of subscription. You simply activate OneCare with the same LiveID used originally. In fact, a OneCare subscription is always tied to a LiveID - not the Windows User Name - and can't be transferred.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:14 PM

All replies

• Unless you had OneCare backup in Version 1.0 backing up specific folders, meaning you configured it to backup all files located in \folder, then your exe files have never been backed up by OneCare. If you do have a 1.0 backup, yes, you can selectively restore from older backups. The issue is not that OneCare can't restore an exe file, it is that it doesn't backup programs or system files, which an exe file is.

As for the destination, OneCare restores to the exact same location as the data was backed up from unless the files already exist in the destination - which is likely to be the case if your User Account is named the same on the PC following the rebuild. Any files that would be overwritten go to the aforementioned \Restore location. Yes, you can then move data from the Restore folder as desired.

You mentioned the subscription and I'll comment on that. If your OneCare subscription is current, meaning that there is time left until expiration, there is no transfer of subscription. You simply activate OneCare with the same LiveID used originally. In fact, a OneCare subscription is always tied to a LiveID - not the Windows User Name - and can't be transferred.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Thanks, Steve. I think the issue came up for me because the User ID on the new set-up is different from my old user ID. OneCare is prompting me to choose to direct the restored files to EITHER the new user ID OR to the Restore folder. If I understand your response, I can direct the restored files to the existing (new) user ID, but any "same-named" folders or files still will be sent to the Restore folder instead.

I realize that OneCare (unfortunately) doesn't have a complete system restoration option ... but I hope to retrieve downloaded and stored program files, etc., some of which I assume might be .exe. Certain of my programs (e.g., family history programs) also save back-up files as .BAK files which I also would like to recover if possible, etc.

As for the OneCare subscription, I first wrote to "Windows Live OneCare Technical Support" to ask for recovery and subscription continuity support. Jane Jiang responded with directions (with follow-up from Cherry Gu & Jerry Su) which I am trying to follow (I can send Jane's instructions to you, off-list, if you wish). I understand Jane's directions to mean I should re-install OneCare as part of the restoration process. I did this, but it is clear I now have a 90-day free trial subscription, based on the program interface. (I have not yet attempted any additional back-up with the "new" set-up.) I would like to re-instate the paid subscription.

Thanks,

Dave

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Got it. :-)

Yes, you will indeed have the duplicated files sent to the Restore folder which can then be copied to the new locations as desired.

As I noted in my earlier reply, if you made backups with v1 and specifically set it up to back up folders where you saved these exe files, then you can restore them. They were not backed up at all since v1.5. You can open all of your old backups and peruse them for files you might want to restore that are not in the current backup set that you are restoring from, but if the files you are looking for were located in \Program Files or \Windows or matched an extension that OneCare won't backup under any circumstances, I'm afraid you will not be able to recover those files.

No need to send the instructions on, but you may if you want - sboots@mvps.org - be sure to put OneCare in the subject line and paste this link in the message body: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3864861&SiteID=2 (this thread).

To activate the fresh install on the recovered PC, you simply need to "subscribe" from within the trial and enter your subscription LiveID and password.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

For more information see Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_PROC_FindLiveIDHelp.htm

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:26 PM